Melissa Meyer "Love Me Tender", Print
Edition: Multiple, Unframed.
Melissa Meyer has created a diverse oeuvre that includes oil paintings, drawings, watercolors, prints and large-scale … moreEtching
Edition: Multiple, Unframed.
Melissa Meyer has created a diverse oeuvre that includes oil paintings, drawings, watercolors, prints and large-scale public commissions.Her work is strongly influenced by color and line. Her brushstrokes and patterns possess a glyph-like quality, conveying a vibrant and deeply personal aesthetic language.Meyer is skilled in a range of different printing techniques, including lithography, etching, monotype, silkscreen, and spit bite aquatint.This etching was named after reading the two-volume Rock & Roll Elvis Presley biography, after Presleys iconic song.Printed in an edition of 30 by Sue Oehme for Riverhouse Editions; this print is 3/30.This print followed from a 70 x 80 (178 x 203 cm) oil painting of the same name with similar visual attributes from 2002.
Melissa Meyer is an American abstract painter and printmaker. Her energetic, colorful compositions express emotion and the transitory essence of reality.She lives and works in New York City. Meyer studied art at New York University, receiving her BS in 1968 and her MA in 1975. She has received multiple grants and awards, including the Pollock-Krasner Foundation Grant and the NEA Grant in Painting. She is a frequent visiting artist at Yaddo and the Vermont Studio Center. She has taught at RISD and the Art Institute of Chicago, and since 1993 at The School of Visual Arts in New York. Melissa Meyer has created a diverse oeuvre that includes oil paintings, drawings, watercolors, prints and large-scale public commissions. Her work is strongly influenced by color and line. Her brushstrokes and patterns possess a glyph-like quality, conveying a vibrant and deeply personal aesthetic language. Often when working she looks at her images in a mirror to get a backwards perspective on them. She also sometimes uses a reducing glass, a device that gives her the impression that she is farther away from the image than she is so she can read the image from afar. Meyer is skilled in a range of different printing techniques, including lithography, etching, monotype, silkscreen, and spit bite aquatint. To create her unique monotypes she paints on acetate sheets with watercolors, running the sheets through a press, often transferring multiple layers onto paper to complete the final image.You can read more about her work here The work Meyer makes begins and ends with looking. Her inspiration could be spurred by seeing a color or a mark or a gesture, sometimes in a dream, sometimes in another one of her works. She jokes that she has been criticized because all of her favorite artists are dead. She is associated with the third generation of Abstract Expressionists. She works instinctively, and follows her personal intuition in the studio. In addition to her aesthetic influences Meyer is also inspired by dance (especially Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse in The Bandwagon), architectural forms, letterforms and handwriting, classic jazz and classic blues, film noir, and a multitude of specific characters, songs and places, which often find their way into her titles and concepts. Work by Meyer is included in the permanent collections of some of the most prestigious institutions in the world, including the New York MoMA, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, The Brooklyn Museum, The Jewish Museum in New York, and the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C. It is also in multiple corporate collections, including those of Estee Lauder, Johnson & Johnson, Hallmark Cards, IBM and Neiman Marcus. Melissa Meyer has exhibited extensively throughout the United States, as well as internationally. She has completed public commissions around the world, including in Kyrgyzstan, Shanghai, Tokyo, Miami and Queens. Lennon, Weinberg, Inc New York CityHeather Gaudio Fine Art, New Canaan, CTCross Contemporary, Saugerties, NY less
- 25ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 26.97ʺH
- Frame Type
- Art Subjects
- Melissa Meyer
- 2000 - 2009
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Item Type
- Mint Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- New New less
Typical Shipping: 7-14 days
No questions or comments yet
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- In-Home Delivery
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.
- International Parcel
- International parcel shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Fedex
- You will be updated with a tracking number once shipping is booked
- International parcel shipments can take anywhere from 1 - 6 weeks to be delivered
- In-Home Expedited International Shipping
- In-Home Expedited International Shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged by Metropolitan and will be delivered to your room of choice
- In-home expedited shipments can take anywhere from 3-7 weeks to be delivered
- Expedited International Shipping
- Expedited international shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- You will need tools and/or equipment to open the crate; Fedex will not open the crate for you
- You will be updated with a tracking number once your item has been booked for air shipment
- Expedited international shipments can take anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks to be delivered
- International Shipping
- International shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Schumacher Cargo and automatically come with in-home delivery
- You will receive a tracking number once your item has cleared customs