Mid-Century Male Figure Study Bay Area Art
This product is no longer available.
From the estate of Jerry Opper & Ruth Friedman Opper
Gouache on Paper
15" x 18", Unframed ... more From the estate of Jerry Opper & Ruth Friedman Opper
Gouache on Paper
15" x 18", Unframed
Very Good Condition - Minor wear consistent with age and history. Wrinkling of paper.
From the estate of Ruth Friedmann Opper & Jerry Opper. Ruth was the daughter of Bauhaus artist, Gustav Friedmann. Done in the style of the Bay Area Figurative painters of that time and contemporaries would include, Elmer Bischoff, James Weeks and Richard Diebenkorn.
Jerry Opper was born in Cleveland, Ohio, on September 5, 1924. He moved to Los Angeles in 1933. After graduating from Hollywood High School, he worked in movie studios and attended art classes at Chouinard Art Institute. In May 1942, Opper was drafted into the army and was then able to study at the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center while his outfit was stationed in Colorado. Later he was sent to Guam and was discharged in December 1945.
Opper returned to Chouinard and his work in movie studios until 1947, when he moved to San Francisco. He enrolled as a full-time student at the California School of Fine Arts (now SFAI) and graduated in 1950. In 1948, Opper met his wife Gertrud Ruth Friedmann, daughter of artist Gustav Friedmann whose works are well known.
Shortly after he finished school, Opper worked briefly as a decorator’s assistant and then started his career as a commercial artist, working for several firms such as Fibreboard, Beatrix Food and Precision. One of his preferred mediums was stone lithography, although at times he had to put this aside because of the hard labor associated with the weight of the stones. He eventually needed several back surgeries during his lifetime because of this.
Opper’s prints have been included in several major shows throughout the country: Oakland Art Gallery, Sacramento State Fair, San Francisco Museum of Art, International Color Lithography Exhibition at Cincinnati, Ohio, Pennell Print Show at the Library of Congress, Washington D.C., Brooklyn Museum Print Show, Los Angeles County Fair, Pomona, City of Paris Rotunda Gallery, San Francisco.
Around 1950, Opper had a one-man show at the Lucien Labaudt Gallery in San Francisco and at the Montalvo Estate in Saratoga, California. At the California State Fair in Sacramento, Opper won the second prize for prints for his lithograph “Aquarium” and this print became part of the Fair’s permanent collection. The print Opper exhibited at the Brooklyn Print Show was chosen for the traveling exhibit, which was circulated to ten major cities by the American Federation of Arts. The two prints he showed at the San Francisco Museum were also chosen for circulation and were shown to various schools in California.
In 1951, an untitled abstract oil by Opper was included in the Seventeen Annual Exhibition of the San Francisco Art Association (held at the San Francisco Museum of Art). And in 1952, the San Francisco Art Commission purchased one of Opper's abstract lithographs.
Bio from Lost Art Salon less
- 15ʺW × 1ʺD × 18ʺH
- Jerry Opper
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $19
- Free Local Pickup in Alameda, CA
MGH Discovered Art in Alameda, CA
Discover: dis·cov·er dəˈskəvər/ find unexpectedly or in the course of a search. Art ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email email@example.com to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.