Vintage Cantagalli Firenze Faience Italian Majolica Bird of Paradise and Lemon Soup Tureen
Beautiful Vintage Cantagalli Italian Majolica Soup Tureen in a stunning alabaster white with a dainty lemon handle and hand painted ...
moreBeautiful Vintage Cantagalli Italian Majolica Soup Tureen in a stunning alabaster white with a dainty lemon handle and hand painted with stylized birds of paradise adorning each side. Includes a beautifully curved alabaster colored ladle.
This Cantagalli Firenze tureen is hand painted over an oxide glaze that covers the terra cotta underneath. Cantagalli, who started his factory in 1878, copied the renaissance style of making fine serving ware. The Cantagalli factory closed in 1985.
During the renaissance pottery makers still did not know how to make China with fine white kaolin clay so they improvised and covered terra cotta with white oxide. Then they painted with pigments that did not fade in the firing process. This was called faience or Firenze, depending on which country you lived in.
In beautiful unused condition.
About Cantagalli Majolica
Ulisse Cantagalli, the original Cantagalli, was a superb artist and an even better businessman.
Not much of him is known before 1878 when he took over the family factory in Florence and started to produce highly decorative Italian ceramics in the Renaissance style. At the time the taste for this kind of pottery was a very hot trend in the English speaking countries.
He devoted his artistic energy to the understanding of the techniques and the designs of the old masters from Gubbio, Deruta, Urbino and other important ceramic centers.
His ability to master the ruby and golden luster techniques of Mastro Giorgio Andreoli brought the factory to fame, particularly in Britain.
The passion for Italian pottery and its role in the success of Cantagalli’s factory is well described in a delicious article published in the New York Times in 1879, titled “The Making of Majolica: A Florence Pottery Factory”.
The event that more than any other contributed to the International success of Cantagalli was his friendship with William de Morgan, Britain’s most talented and most admired pottery and tile designer of his days.
He introduced him to influential collectors in England and US and encouraged him to participate to International exhibitions. In a short time, Cantagalli works were highly regarded in English speaking countries, where they still are popular Collector’s items.
Cantagalli died in 1901.
His wife and daughter continued to operate the factory in Florence.
In 1934 they sold it together with the Cantagalli’s trademark to Amerigo Menegatti, former artistic director of the factory.
The economic turmoil following World War II forced Menegatti to a step change in production. He began to offer more utilitarian items, which still bore the famous cockerel that English speaking collectors find so appealing.
The Cantagalli factory closed in 1985.
The production of Cantagalli ware is now over, although the Menegatti family still owns the trademark.
Cantagalli pottery are highly sought after as collector’s items. Cantagalli pottery original works are held by influential collectors and renowned Museums. less
- 15ʺW × 9ʺD × 10ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Beautiful vintage condition, with no flaws noted. Beautiful vintage condition, with no flaws noted. less
- Terra Cotta
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
Old Dog, New Tricks Antiques in Lancaster, OH
Eclectic, Modern, Fresh, Simple antiques.... which can be loved in new ways!
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.