English Georgian Antique Black Butler’s Secretary Desk With Bookcase, 19th Century
A finely crafted secretaire situated as a bookcase over a chest of drawers, the upper drawer is "Butler" in form ...
moreA finely crafted secretaire situated as a bookcase over a chest of drawers, the upper drawer is "Butler" in form, withdrawing and the drawer facade dropping down over hooped brass slides and original hinges to reveal a tidy desk interior. The writing area is covered in a gilt-tooled black leather before ten small drawers and six pigeon-hole letter compartments.
Notable is the exquisite hand dovetailing, not only in the larger drawers of the lower chest, but much more precise in the tiny interior drawers.
The desk is built in two parts, the upper a self contained bookcase with thirteen glazed panels per door divided by beaded astragal molding, these opening to reveal three adjustable shelves.
It is likely the ebony staining is a later treatment, though the quality and seamlessness of the finish is notable and incredibly effective - a distinct departure from similar "painted" forms, the translucent stain reveals the warm ruby hue of the solid mahogany beneath. It is silky and waxy to the touch.
With clean lines and a fine form, this is a highly relevant and interesting form; beautifully cared for and built to last the test of time, this is a fine acquisition for any classical interior.
Measurements: 87 1/8" H x 45 3/4" W x 21 3/4" D; writing surface is 28 1/2" H from ground, 43 1/8" W x 34 1/2" D less
- 45.75ʺW × 21.75ʺD × 87.13ʺH
- 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Ebony stain is likely later; shrink cracks here and there; brasses replaced; light surface wear and blemish throughout; desk lid ... moreEbony stain is likely later; shrink cracks here and there; brasses replaced; light surface wear and blemish throughout; desk lid does not close perfectly, but the gap is relatively non-noteworthy. less
- Place of Origin
- Table Shape
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
SILLA, LTD. | Antiques & Works of Art in Shippensburg, PA
Located in the historic downtown of Shippensburg, PA, Silla Ltd is a destination for pure ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.