Black Walnut and Douglas Fir American Carpenter's Workbench C.1900
This is an original early 20th century American carpenter's workbench. The work surface is Black Walnut with a large ... moreABOUT
This is an original early 20th century American carpenter's workbench. The work surface is Black Walnut with a large tray in the back. The tray has an inlay section for tools along the width of the back. There are 7 dogs spaced along the width of the front. The base of this work bench is made from Douglas Fir and has vintage leather and brass casters. The bench features two all wooden vises that both extend 13 inches. The piece is structurally sound and has retained the naturally distressed look of an industrial piece of this kind.
DATE OF MANUFACTURE c.1900
MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES Black Walnut, Douglas Fir.
CONDITION Excellent. Wear consistent with age and use.
DIMENSIONS H 34.5 in. x D 31 in. W 54 in. (Tray H 1.25 in. D 9 in. W 36 in. Casters H 2.75)
A workbench is essentially a table fitted with various holding devices, such as benchstops and vises, made sufficiently strong and massive to be used for a variety of woodworking operations. The modern workbench derives from two separate pieces: a table for planing wood and a bench for supporting wood to be sawn.
Designs have changed over the centuries, beginning with low Roman planing benches and slowly growing in height to present day hand-high benches, and acquiring different accessories. French benches of the 17th and 18th centuries, for example, depended largely on stops and dogs to hold the workpiece, whereas British and American benches relied more on various vises (which first appeared on medieval German benches). How and where vises are fitted further differentiates between different bench types, the most common of which are those known as the standard cabinetmaker's bench (fitted with a face vise and a tail vise). less
- 54ʺW × 31ʺD × 34.5ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Place of Origin
- North America
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- See above. See above. less
- Table Shape
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
S16 Home in San Francisco, CA
Established in 2014 in San Francisco's Castro District, S16 Home offers some of the ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Animal Skin Console Tables
- Brass Console Tables
- Brown Console Tables
- Console Tables with Drawers
- Corner Console Tables
- Farmhouse Console Tables
- Gold Console Tables
- Industrial Console Tables
- Leather Console Tables
- Media Console Tables
- Narrow Console Tables
- Outdoor Console Tables
- Reclaimed Wood Console Tables
- San Francisco Console Tables
- Small Console Tables
- Tall Console Tables
- Walnut Console Tables
- Wood Console Tables
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.