Edouard Jean Baptiste Detaille -Portrait of a Napoleonic Soldier -Oil Painting C.1870s
Edouard Jean Baptiste Detaille -Portrait of a Napoleonic Soldier -Oil painting c.1870s
portrait of a French Soldier -oil painting ... moreEdouard Jean Baptiste Detaille -Portrait of a Napoleonic Soldier -Oil painting c.1870s
portrait of a French Soldier -oil painting on canvas -Signed
frame size 10 x 15"
canvas size 6 x 12"
(1848 - 1912)
Edouard Jean Baptiste Detaille was active/lived in France. He is known for military subject painting.
Jean-Baptiste-Detaille was a master of French military painters. Detaille was born in Picardy into a prosperous family with a military background. His father set him up with Ernest Meissonier who showed him finesse of execution and an appreciation for precise observation. Detaille obtained a staff position, at the start of the Franco-Prussian War (1870) which would provide him with an indelible experience to observe the hostilities of war first hand. This experience proved to be the mainstay of his artistic output over his lifetime.Detaille made trips to Austria, England and Russia researching the uniforms and military customs of those places, but his love of the French Army held his most attention. In collaboration with Jules Richard, he prepared 2 lavishly illustrated volumes presenting the uniforms and classifications of the army from 1789- 1870. The 346 figures and 60 coloured plates in Types et uniformes de l'armee francaise represent an encyclopedia of their subject. Many illustrations were made from the artists personal collection of military artifacts.Detaille's devotion to detail was to be seen in his two masterpieces, vast panoramas depicting events from the Franco-Prussian War: the panorama of Champigny (exh. Paris, 1882; central section, Versailles, Chateau) and the panorama of Rezonville. The first piece was based on his 1879 canvas, Defence of Champigny (New York, Met), and it was undertaken in collaboration with Alphonse de Nueville. It shows the desperate French defence against assault by divisions from Saxony and Wurttenberg on the second day of battle. The second piece was done without the aid of de Neuville. For the Salle du Budget of the Hotel de Ville, Paris, Detaille painted a dramatic allegory Victory Leading the Armies of the Republic (Dunkirk, Mus. B.A.) and two elaborate scenes of leave-taking and return (completed 1905) which emphasize the place of Paris in the military history of the Revolution and the First Empire and the links between these two eras. less
- 10ʺW × 2ʺD × 15ʺH
- 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
- Oil Paint
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Pasadena Art Monkeys in Pasadena, CA
- Super Seller 2018
Welcome to Pasadena Art Monkeys ! ....our gallery is located at the Pasadena Antiques & Design, in ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- French Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Nude Paintings
- Miniature Paintings
- Landscape Paintings
- Folk Art Paintings
- Paintings in Los Angeles
- Sunflower Paintings
- Flower Paintings
- Cat Paintings
- Surrealist Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- Still Life Paintings
- Sunset Paintings
- Shabby Chic Paintings
- White Paintings
- Traditional Paintings
- Dot Paintings
- Famous Paintings
- Greek Paintings
- Cherry Blossom Paintings
- 3D Paintings
- Venice Oil Paintings
- Eggshell Paintings
- Forest Paintings
- Gray Paintings
- Action Paintings
- Beach Paintings
- Classic Paintings
- Color Field Paintings
- House Paintings
- Moon Paintings
- Face Paintings
- Genre Paintings
- Metal Paintings
- Tree Paintings
- Watercolor Paintings
- Airbrush Paintings
- Car Paintings
- Fruit Oil Paintings
- Oil Paint Paintings
- Oyster Gray Paintings
- Rock Paintings
- Venus Paintings
- Canvas Paintings
- Dog Paintings
- Empire Paintings
- Galaxy Paintings
- Lead Paintings
- Political and Patriotic Paintings
- Still Life Oil Paintings
- Textile Paintings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.