James Camp Mid-Century Carved Walnut Coffee Table
Mid-century vintage hand-carved walnut coffee table made and signed by James Monroe Camp in 1975. He was a California woodworker ...
Mid-century vintage hand-carved walnut coffee table made and signed by James Monroe Camp in 1975. He was a California woodworker. It is made from solid walnut.
Creator: James Monroe Camp (designer)
Place of origin: United States
Date of manufacture: 1970's
Period: 1970 - 1979
Materials and techniques: carved walnut
Measurements: 15" Tall x 15" deep x 31" wide
Condition: excellent wear to the bottom left corner
Description: the shaped rounded rectangular table on hand carved rounded wooden legs.
Extra notes: This is, by the renowned Philadelphian wood sculptor James Monroe Camp. He is known in the Philadelphia area for being one of the African American artists who exhibited at the African Diasporas Festival for Arts and Culture in Lagos, Nigeria. His works are sought after amongst collectors.
Through connections with a Philadelphia theater owner, Mr. Camp was commissioned to make wood creations for Hollywood movie stars. With his unusually large hands, Mr. Camp made the pieces for Sinatra (who wrote "You're an absolute genius" in a thank-you note) and Davis, and a chess table and stool set for John Wayne.
Mr. Camp's hand-carved six-foot mahogany crucifix hangs in the Absalom Jones Altar Chapel in the African Episcopal Church of St. Thomas, in Overbrook. His noted works include a spine-back rocking chair and Black Matriarch, which was featured in The Inquirer with a story about the Lewis Tanner Moore "In Search of Missing Masters" exhibit at the Woodmere Art Museum in Chestnut Hill.
Mr. Camp was among the African American artists who represented the U.S. in the African Diasporas exhibit in the Festival for Arts and Culture in Lagos, Nigeria, in 1977. The group included artists Nelson Stevens, Jeff Donaldson and Januwa Moja and dancer Chuck Davis.
Mr. Camp's work was included in a Smithsonian Institution exhibition that highlighted artwork by family members. He exhibited with his late sister, painter Sylvia Harmon; his brother, photographer Don Camp; and his niece Kimberly Camp, an artist and former head of the Barnes Foundation less
- 31.0ʺW × 15.0ʺD × 15.0ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
- Shipping Options
- White Glove Shipping available in continental U.S.
- Free Local Pickup in Cockeysville, MD
- Ask the seller if Local Delivery is available
Mary Kay's Furniture in Cockeysville, MD
Mary Kay’s Furniture is owned and operated in Timonium, MD 21093. Our goal is ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 3Ask the Seller / View All
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact email@example.com if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.