American Impressionist Painting "The Woodland Brook" by Luther Emerson Van Gorder (1857-1931)
This remarkable oil on canvas painting depicts a gentle brook in a winter wooded enclosure. It’s one of two ...
moreThis remarkable oil on canvas painting depicts a gentle brook in a winter wooded enclosure. It’s one of two known works that this renowned artist painted in that setting; in one the scene is looking out to a clearing just beyond the forest, in this one the scene looks into the deeper forest. The painting is framed in a hand carved gold-leaf frame.
Comps available upon request
Additional images upon request
Size with frame: 42” x 32”
Canvas size: 36” x 26”
Biography from Questroyal Fine Art, LLC:
Luther Emerson Van Gorder gained international renown for his brilliant depictions of the French countryside, Parisian street scenes, and coasts along the New York Sound. The artist trained with William Merritt Chase at the Chase School of Art and studied under Carolus Duran at the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris. Van Gorder's innovative technique combined the informal compositions featured by Chase and other leading Impressionists with the sophisticated realism of French academicism and the subtle color harmonies of Tonalism. He became a frequent exhibitor at the National Academy of Design, the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts and the Art Institute of Chicago. His work is now included in collections throughout the country, including the Toledo Museum of Art, the Tweed Museum of Art, the Huntington Library Art Collections, and the Worcester Art Museum.
Biography from the Archives of askART:
Born in Warren, Ohio, Luther Van Gorder along with Edmund H. Osthaus (1858-1928) and Wilder Darling (1856-1933), were among the most distinguished painters of the Toledo area during the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. He is best known for his views of Parisian flower markets.
While young, Luther Van Gorder worked for a Toledo newspaper, and then went on to study art in New York City, and then Paris from 1894 to 1896. He continued to live abroad for less
- 32ʺW × 3ʺD × 42ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Gold Leaf
- Oil Paint
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Restored, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
You Want Vintage in Clinton Township, MI
An eclectic mix of antique and vintage items from my travels far and wide.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- 3D Paintings
- Action Paintings
- Antique White Paintings
- Beach Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- Blue Paintings
- Brown Paintings
- Car Paintings
- Cat Paintings
- Cherry Blossom Paintings
- Classic Paintings
- Color Field Paintings
- Detroit Paintings
- Dot Paintings
- Elephant Paintings
- Face Paintings
- Famous Paintings
- Flower Paintings
- Forest Paintings
- Galaxy Paintings
- Genre Paintings
- Gold Paintings
- Greek Paintings
- Green Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- House Paintings
- Landscape Paintings
- Miniature Paintings
- Moon Paintings
- Nude Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Ornamental & Decorative Materials Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Rock Paintings
- Skull Paintings
- Still Life Paintings
- Sunflower Paintings
- Sunset Paintings
- Surrealist Paintings
- Tree Paintings
- Venus Paintings
- White Paintings
- Wood Paintings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.