With an emphasis on modern architecture and custom detailing, San Francisco-based designer Catherine Kwong creates moments of unexpected beauty. Catherine started her design career in New York, where she designed luxe, gorgeous interiors for Studio Sofield and the likes of Ralph Lauren’s flagship stores.
After many amazing years of learning and creating in the city that never sleeps, she moved home to her beloved San Francisco, and Catherine Kwong Design was open for business in 2011. Read on below to get to know Catherine, and shop her Chairish favorites here.
Favorite way to add drama to a room:
Playing with scale and balance. It’s so important to get the proportions of a room dialed in with the furnishings, but then I like to add drama with an oversized piece of art, or a tall floor lamp paired with a petite side table.
Favorite way to work a bit of vintage into a room:
I love incorporating vintage hardware into our custom pieces. Beautiful old pulls, doorknobs, and hinges can lend a sense of depth and elegance to furniture and cabinetry.
- Favorite beauty/grooming product: Vintner’s Daughter
- Favorite travel destination: Italy
- Favorite hotel to check in to: The Crosby Hotel in New York
- Favorite app: Instagram
- Favorite morning beverage: All of the coffee.
- Favorite thank you/hostess gift: Flowers and something sweet.
- Favorite thing to collect: Photographs.
CATHERINE’S CITY HAUNTS:
- Favorite restaurant: Saru Sushi
- Favorite hotel to recommend to visiting friends: Cavallo Point
- Favorite local culture hub: Minnesota Street Project
- Favorite local attraction: The Presidio
- Favorite local flea market/vintage hunting ground: The Perish Trust
Featured photo by Bess Friday. All photos courtesy of Catherine Kwong