Final Markdown Brunschwig & Fils Postmodern Floral Sofa
Brunschwig & Fils Custom Postmodern / Traditional Upholstered Sofa w Throw Pillows. Floral chintz Brunschwig & Fils fabric. Silk (?). Measures 30 ...
more Brunschwig & Fils Custom Postmodern / Traditional Upholstered Sofa w Throw Pillows. Floral chintz Brunschwig & Fils fabric. Silk (?). Measures 30 x 84 x 39 inches. Can accommodate a sleeper but does not come with mattress.
Achille Brunschwig established Brunschwig & Fils in 1900 as a tapestry-weaving mill in Aubusson and Bohain, France. Early in the twentieth century, the firm expanded its collection to include printed and woven silks and cottons from the finest European mills. Brunschwig soon enjoyed an international reputation for quality. By 1925, under the direction of Captain Roger E. Brunschwig, the founder’s son, the company opened showrooms in New York and other American cities.
In 1941, Captain Brunschwig joined General de Gaulle’s Free French Forces in London, leaving Zelina, his American wife, to direct the business. Mrs. Brunschwig – affectionately called Mrs. B – who had been a successful interior designer, joined the firm as a stylist, and found herself without French imports and, being forced to be innovative, she substituted parachute cloth for silk, unbleached muslin for linen, and found American mills to weave and print her designs, all to great acclaim.
Following the war, Roger Brunschwig, now a Colonel, returned to head the firm, which was again able to import fabrics from France and England to complement its American collection. Under Mrs. B’s leadership as design director, the company broadened its product base to include wallcoverings and trimmings, many of which coordinated with existing printed cotton and linen designs. Mrs. B. also continued to enrich the company’s archives of antique textiles, wallcoverings and trims – originally established by Achille Brunschwig – as well as collaborating with museums and historic restorations to create further documentary fabrics.
Many of the designs in today’s collections date back to the early 1940s, while still others are more than 200 years old. Hand-woven Louis XV ecru silk brocade is woven in the same Lyon atelier that produced fabrics for the restoration of the Chateau de Versailles. Brocades, lampas and velvets created for Louis XIV are woven today on the very same looms as the originals in the 18th century.
Previous collections have originated from such diverse sources as the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris, the Royal Pavilion at Brighton, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, Historic Deerfield in Massachusetts and The Henry Francis Du Pont Winterthur Museum in Delaware.
In 1986, the company launched its first collection of upholstered furniture featuring timeless designs of exceptional quality that are suited to both residential and contract use. Included in the collection are sofas and récamiers; armchairs; slipper, dining and occasional chairs; banquettes; ottomans, benches and footstools. All of the frames can be customized in endless variations for diverse traditional and contemporary settings.
MSRP for this custom piece: between 7-9k. Don't miss this deal. Final Markdown pricing is firm. less
- 84ʺW × 39ʺD × 30ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
- Brunschwig & Fils
- Brunschwig & Fils
Otto Binx in Brooklyn, NY
After many years as an academic, I realized that my work as an art and ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 8Ask the Seller / View All
- Brunschwig & Fils Standard Sofas
- Chesterfield Couches & Sofas
- Circular Couches & Sofas
- Convertible Couches & Sofas
- Curved Couches & Sofas
- English Traditional Standard Sofas
- French Country Standard Sofas
- French Provincial Standard Sofas
- Green Standard Sofas
- Leather Couches & Sofas
- Long Couches & Sofas
- Microfiber Couches & Sofas
- Modular Couches & Sofas
- New York Standard Sofas
- Patio Couches & Sofas
- Pink Standard Sofas
- Pull-Out Couches & Sofas
- Red Standard Sofas
- Shabby Chic Standard Sofas
- Small Couches & Sofas
- Traditional Standard Sofas
- Tufted Couches & Sofas
- Velvet Couches & Sofas
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.