Handmade Carved Slant Desk with the ID of John Hall, Quincy, Mass
This is a Handmade Carved Slant Desk with the ID of John Hall, Quincy, Mass. This signature is in quill ...
moreThis is a Handmade Carved Slant Desk with the ID of John Hall, Quincy, Mass. This signature is in quill pen ink with brush in hand and can be clearly seen inside the desk. I took off the board to capture the full image. This board was nailed in with forged nails. The board is rough and the desk is handmade. The desk has been restored multiple time in its life time. The board of genuine pine stock, defines a shipment label, one clearly of the early 1800s when name and town was the only thing needed to identify a person.
This ID scripted is inside of the desk and the location of Quincy Mass is a relatively small geographic area.
In Quincy Mass, there is a John Hall Funeral Home, officially founded in 1856 by John Hall, a carriage painter turned undertaker. He had been keeping burial records since 1842. This line of John Halls continues down the chain.
Also listed under this name is the 7th Mayor of Quincy, John O. Hall in service in the early 1900s who was a republican.
John Hall is a name known to the area of Quincy, In the Quincy's business center, there are numerous fine commercial structures; and the John Hall Funeral Home is one of the best. The Hall Funeral Service handled the funeral of President and Representative John Quincy Adams who died in 1848. Here is his family burial ground in Quincy, Massachusetts, across from the First Parish Church, called Hancock Cemetery.
It is very likely that the shipping label was an endearment touch to the desk of dedication. I have worked with many recycled materials in the labels of crates and the labels are typically turned to the back side. This label is clearly placed in front of the user who is perched at the desk. I find this very interesting and would not change this placement for another.
About the desk: The desk is made of a light wood. Mostly pine. It is well made by a craftsman with a good hand. The desk is designed much like a barrel desk with no feet and is flush to the ground. It has brass Chippendale handles. The desk has a new top placed in during a phase restoration. The hardware is of the early 1900s. The methods of tooling is of the early 1800s.
The desk has four drawers with false key holes. All drawers are dovetail and carved by hand. I found no circular marks. The slant desk top works with key and lock. The slant front panel is carved with a bundle of four cattails, all hand tooled. The panels of the wood have been hand honed, even the foot base is honed by a hook knife.
The inside of the desk speaks older than the restored surfacing of the desk. With six cubby holes and two drawers the desk was heavily used. One cubby drawer was lost or broken due to the mill thinness and was replaced with a wooden cigar box. The desk is clearly from the 1800s in touch and style.
I cleaned, conditioned and French finished the surface. The desk is not as shiny as it looks in the photos and it has a soft matt shine to it. It is ready for a new user. I purchased this desk in West Virginia from a artist who did much old style stenciling and collecting.
The desk is 26 inches wide and 41 inches high. The desk writing surface is 29.5 inches high and the depth of the desk open is 25 inches. less
- 26ʺW × 18ʺD × 40ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
HALO-TLC LLC in Fredericksburg, VA
About myself: I am a retired Material Science Engineer (B.S.) and during my earlier ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Adjustable Desks
- Antique Desks
- Antique School Desks
- Art Desks
- Brown Secretary Desks
- Butcher Block Desks
- Campaign Desks
- Chippendale Secretary Desks
- Computer Desks
- Corner Desks
- Curved Desks
- Desks with Drawers
- Desks with Hutch
- Desks with Shelves
- Desks with Storage
- Floating Desks
- Fold Down Desks
- Folding Desks
- French Secretary Desks
- Hollywood Regency Secretary Desks
- Large Desks
- Long Desks
- Mahogany Desks
- Metal Desks
- Modular Desks
- Oak Desks
- Office Desks
- Reclaimed Wood Desks
- Shabby Chic Secretary Desks
- Simple Desks
- Small Desks
- Tall Desks
- Vanity Desks
- Wood Desks
- Wood Secretary Desks
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.