Dorothy Thorpe Pink Translucent Avalokiteśvara Goddess of Compassion & Mercy Sculpture
This product is no longer available.
Gorgeous and substantial pink resin sculpture of the most beloved of the Buddhist pantheon of enlightened beings, teachers and boddhisatvas ...
more Gorgeous and substantial pink resin sculpture of the most beloved of the Buddhist pantheon of enlightened beings, teachers and boddhisatvas, Quan Yin by thee mid century master -Dorothy Thorpe. Exceedingly rare.
Originally known as "Avalokiteshvara" which means "the lord who looks upon the world with compassion" in Sanskrit, his/ her name was Translated into Chinese as "Kuan Shih Yin"or Quan Yin.
Shih: the world / the region of sufferers
Yin: all the sounds of the world, in particular, the crying sounds of beings, verbal or mental, seeking help
Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva is the embodiment of the compassion of all of the buddhas. He/She is the can appear in any form in all the six realms of existence to relieve the suffering of the sentient beings who live there. He vowed to rescue those who call on him when they are in suffering, for example, when caught in a fire, shipwrecked or facing an attack, when facing any issue, stress, sickness or sadness.
In the Lotus Sutra, Shakyamuni Buddha said that if a suffering being hears the name of Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva and earnestly calls out to the bodhisattva, Avalokiteshvara will hear the call and relieve that being from his suffering.
According to the Huayen Sutra, Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva transforms himself into forms that suit the nature of those to be helped. His/her manifestations or transformation bodies are countless.
In China, Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva is represented in female form and is known as Kuan Yin. Most of the bodhisattva's statues in China since the Tang Dynasty (A.D. 618 - 907) have appeared as female figures. (In India, however, the bodhisattva is generally represented as a male figure.)
In her hands, Kuan Yin may hold a willow branch, a vase with water or occasionally, a lotus flower.The willow branch is used to heal people's illnesses or bring fulfillment to their requests.The water ( the dew of compassion) has the quality of removing suffering, purifying the defilements of our body, speech and mind, and lengthening life.
Kuan Yin is the compassion that we are capable of and that we can experience both toward others and our selves. She is a reminder of the kindness, love and nurturing nature that is there within us and around us, if we see it, let it flow, let it in and out.
This gorgeous pink representation is wonderful reminder of the love that is possible if we are just present with what already is.
Condition: Good vintage condition. A little bit of dust. Clean, professional repair to wrist area. Very lovely piece. less
- 11ʺW × 7ʺD × 31ʺH
- Dorothy Thorpe
- Dorothy Thorpe
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $199
Otto Binx in Brooklyn, NY
After more than a decade in academia, both as doctoral candidate at NYU’s Institute ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.