1979 Signed and Framed Caspear Henselmann, the Clamp Drawing
Henselmann, Gaspard (Caspear or Casper) (German, born 1933 - died 2015), The Clamp, acrylic and mixed media on paper, signed and ...
more Henselmann, Gaspard (Caspear or Casper) (German, born 1933 - died 2015), The Clamp, acrylic and mixed media on paper, signed and dated lower right, 50" x 38" metal frame 57" x 44"
in good condition floated in the frame
Henselmann was born in Germany and raised in Switzerland before coming to the US in 1950, settling in Chicago. He studied art at the Art Institute of Chicago and also received a diploma of medical illustration from the College of Medicine at the University of Illinois. He put himself through school by working as a ballroom dancer. He moved to Detroit after college and began his career as a sculptor. In 1960, he moved to NYC, worked as a medical illustrator, professor of art and began exhibiting his artwork throughout the US and Europe. He had more than 25 solo shows throughout his life and his is a part of the collections of many a collector and museum. His work stands at an interesting crux of Minimalism, Post-Minimalism, Concept Art and Pop Art. Although most known as a sculptor, he was interested in playing two-dimensionality and three-dimensionality as experiences off of one another in the viewer's experience of his work. His drawings often display extremely foreshortened geometric planes and rods that dissolve the picture plane and interact with the viewer as though they occupy real space. His large-scale three dimensional works, heavy and solid, often resemble sheaths or sheets of some sort of surface that bends and folds itself to come into a three-dimensional state. It's as though the two-dimensional strives to become three and three-dimensional is an augmented two. His "Clamp" plays upon these notions of 2 and 3- dimensionality as well as the materiality of metal vs paper vs thick acrylic paint. The paint runs down the surface of the paper at the same time the thick rods burst through and dissolve that same surface. The viewer understands that the clamp holds the metal parts together. It also holds the notion of what the subject "is" here together as its title. This knowledge however serves to underscores the ignorance of the viewer when it comes to what holds together his or her notion of what it is he or she is experiences as the art object. Is the dribbling paint that sits atop the surface of the two-dimensional image which at the same time seems to be burst through into the space of the viewer and exists as a three dimensional object in a three -dimensional frame more to be defined by our mind or by its own form? Good question, right? less
- 45.0ʺW × 3.0ʺD × 60.0ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- White Glove Shipping available in continental U.S.
- Ask the seller if Local Delivery is available
Otto Binx in Brooklyn, NY
Otto Binx is located in Brooklyn, NY and ships world-wide.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email email@example.com to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.