C. 1880 Vanderbilt Mansion Original Hand-Carved Oak Lion Wall Panel
This product is no longer available.
Large oak portion of the original wall paneling from the Cornelius Vanderbilt II 5th Ave. Mansion c.1880. These were ...
more Large oak portion of the original wall paneling from the Cornelius Vanderbilt II 5th Ave. Mansion c.1880. These were hand-carved and installed by Italian woodworkers Vanderbilt brought to New York to work on the interior of the largest mansion ever built in Manhattan. The carving detail is incredible. The 5th Avenue mansion is one of the most famous and lavish structures to have stood in New York, and few remnants of the architecturally significant structure remain: the fireplace is in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the main gates are in Central Park and the two remaining sculpted friezes are in the lobby of the Sherry-Netherland Hotel.
The full provenance and chain of ownership from the Vanderbilts to myself is established. This includes sale and installation of the panels in the ground floor stockbroker offices of the Fredrick F. French building in the 1920s, where they remained until the space was demolished in the 1970s and only a very small sample of the moulding and paneling was saved - these being one of the two largest pieces.
Information on the building and the panels can be found in:
The Vanderbilts by Jerry E. Patterson
Gilded Mansions: Grand Architecture and High Society by Wayne Craven
The American Renaissance 1876-1917 published by the Brooklyn Museum of Art
Panels are also discussed in the book "Notable American Houses".
Dimensions: 47" X 25 1/2"
Condition: Overall condition is very good; hand-carved panels are in excellent condition. Edges and sides do show some signs of wear and mounting, some holes where lamps were mounted.
Marks: Very old labels on the back indicating the location the panels were to be mounted.
Shipping will be by freight shipper unless otherwise discussed. Approx 200$, west coast will be about 50% more. Feel free to contact me or an exact quote before purchase. less
- 25.5ʺL × 2ʺD × 47ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
Woodcock's in Ann Arbor, MI
Furniture and antiques from Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.