C. 1880 Vanderbilt Mansion Original Hand-Carved Oak Lion Wall Panel
Large oak portion of the original wall paneling from the Cornelius Vanderbilt II 5th Ave. Mansion c.1880. These were ...
more Large oak portion of the original wall paneling from the Cornelius Vanderbilt II 5th Ave. Mansion c.1880. These were hand-carved and installed by Italian woodworkers Vanderbilt brought to New York to work on the interior of the largest mansion ever built in Manhattan. The carving detail is incredible. The 5th Avenue mansion is one of the most famous and lavish structures to have stood in New York, and few remnants of the architecturally significant structure remain: the fireplace is in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the main gates are in Central Park and the two remaining sculpted friezes are in the lobby of the Sherry-Netherland Hotel.
The full provenance and chain of ownership from the Vanderbilts to myself is established. This includes sale and installation of the panels in the ground floor stockbroker offices of the Fredrick F. French building in the 1920s, where they remained until the space was demolished in the 1970s and only a very small sample of the moulding and paneling was saved - these being one of the two largest pieces.
Information on the building and the panels can be found in:
The Vanderbilts by Jerry E. Patterson
Gilded Mansions: Grand Architecture and High Society by Wayne Craven
The American Renaissance 1876-1917 published by the Brooklyn Museum of Art
Panels are also discussed in the book "Notable American Houses".
Dimensions: 47" X 25 1/2"
Condition: Overall condition is very good; hand-carved panels are in excellent condition. Edges and sides do show some signs of wear and mounting, some holes where lamps were mounted.
Marks: Very old labels on the back indicating the location the panels were to be mounted.
Shipping will be by freight shipper unless otherwise discussed. Approx 200$, west coast will be about 50% more. Feel free to contact me or an exact quote before purchase. less
- 25.5ʺW × 2.0ʺD × 47.0ʺH
- Good Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left
- Shipping Options
- Estimated White Glove Shipping - $369
- Free Local Pickup in Ann Arbor, MI
- Ask the seller if Local Delivery is available
Woodcock's in Ann Arbor, MI
Furniture and antiques from Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.