C. 1880 Vanderbilt Mansion Original Hand-Carved Oak Lion Wall Panel
This product is no longer available.
Large oak portion of the original wall paneling from the Cornelius Vanderbilt II 5th Ave. Mansion c.1880. These were ...
more Large oak portion of the original wall paneling from the Cornelius Vanderbilt II 5th Ave. Mansion c.1880. These were hand-carved and installed by Italian woodworkers Vanderbilt brought to New York to work on the interior of the largest mansion ever built in Manhattan. The carving detail is incredible. The 5th Avenue mansion is one of the most famous and lavish structures to have stood in New York, and few remnants of the architecturally significant structure remain: the fireplace is in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the main gates are in Central Park and the two remaining sculpted friezes are in the lobby of the Sherry-Netherland Hotel.
The full provenance and chain of ownership from the Vanderbilts to myself is established. This includes sale and installation of the panels in the ground floor stockbroker offices of the Fredrick F. French building in the 1920s, where they remained until the space was demolished in the 1970s and only a very small sample of the moulding and paneling was saved - these being one of the two largest pieces.
Information on the building and the panels can be found in:
The Vanderbilts by Jerry E. Patterson
Gilded Mansions: Grand Architecture and High Society by Wayne Craven
The American Renaissance 1876-1917 published by the Brooklyn Museum of Art
Panels are also discussed in the book "Notable American Houses".
Dimensions: 47" X 25 1/2"
Condition: Overall condition is very good; hand-carved panels are in excellent condition. Edges and sides do show some signs of wear and mounting, some holes where lamps were mounted.
Marks: Very old labels on the back indicating the location the panels were to be mounted.
Shipping will be by freight shipper unless otherwise discussed. Approx 200$, west coast will be about 50% more. Feel free to contact me or an exact quote before purchase. less
- 25.5ʺL × 2.0ʺD × 47.0ʺH
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- White Glove Shipping available in continental U.S.
- Free Local Pickup in Ann Arbor, MI
- Ask the seller if Local Delivery is available
Woodcock's in Ann Arbor, MI
Furniture and antiques from Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.