'James Michener: Art Collector' Book
This product is no longer available.
At first glance, this slim vintage art catalog looks like one you might pass by, especially, if you are unfamiliar ...
more At first glance, this slim vintage art catalog looks like one you might pass by, especially, if you are unfamiliar with author James Michener - Art Connoisseur. However, fans of Michener will relish the catalog's insight into what he felt was great contemporary art circa the Mid-Century. And what legacy he left the public as both an author and art collector!
Michener, a voracious researcher and historian, was a well-known American author, who was passionate about the art created during the time he was writing books. So, Michener studied art history and artists, perhaps as diligently as he studied the history of the South Pacific and Hawaii. His personal goal was to understand if there was a connection between inspiration of both artist and author. Did their creativity spring from the same well?
So, based on his own research, and with the help of art experts,Michener began to collect contemporary art - not so much to possess it, but to understand it, and then too pass it on to Art Museums in Pennsylvania and Texas. Once he earned The Pulitzer Prize for 'Tales of the South Pacific' and began publishing blockbuster books, like 'Hawaii,' Michener could well afford to buy art. He pursued this passion, and, along with his wife, Mari, created a significant collection, ranging from Japanese prints to works by 20th Century American artists, Thomas Hart Benton, John Marin, Larry Rivers, and more. This exhibit catalog features works from the early days of his collecting, which grew many times over during his lifetime.
Several years ago, I read one of Michener's non-fiction books about his writing process. I was stunned to learn about the meticulous research he did for each of his books; how he created detailed timelines, charts and notebooks full of historic details. I've always liked his books, but after learning how much of himself he put into writing them, I loved him even more.
This scarce First Edition exhibition catalog, in original wraps, was published in 1962 as a companion to an exhibit of 26 selected art works from the Michener Foundation. The exhibit was held from March 15 - April 5, 1962 at Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, less
- 6.75ʺW × 0.2ʺD × 7.25ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
The Sophisticated Reader in Los Angeles, CA
Vintage literature, art & design books, fashion magazines, decorative accessories & One-of-a-Kinds for the Sophisticated Reader.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.