'James Michener: Art Collector' Book
This product is no longer available.
At first glance, this slim vintage art catalog looks like one you might pass by, especially, if you are unfamiliar ...
more At first glance, this slim vintage art catalog looks like one you might pass by, especially, if you are unfamiliar with author James Michener - Art Connoisseur. However, fans of Michener will relish the catalog's insight into what he felt was great contemporary art circa the Mid-Century. And what legacy he left the public as both an author and art collector!
Michener, a voracious researcher and historian, was a well-known American author, who was passionate about the art created during the time he was writing books. So, Michener studied art history and artists, perhaps as diligently as he studied the history of the South Pacific and Hawaii. His personal goal was to understand if there was a connection between inspiration of both artist and author. Did their creativity spring from the same well?
So, based on his own research, and with the help of art experts,Michener began to collect contemporary art - not so much to possess it, but to understand it, and then too pass it on to Art Museums in Pennsylvania and Texas. Once he earned The Pulitzer Prize for 'Tales of the South Pacific' and began publishing blockbuster books, like 'Hawaii,' Michener could well afford to buy art. He pursued this passion, and, along with his wife, Mari, created a significant collection, ranging from Japanese prints to works by 20th Century American artists, Thomas Hart Benton, John Marin, Larry Rivers, and more. This exhibit catalog features works from the early days of his collecting, which grew many times over during his lifetime.
Several years ago, I read one of Michener's non-fiction books about his writing process. I was stunned to learn about the meticulous research he did for each of his books; how he created detailed timelines, charts and notebooks full of historic details. I've always liked his books, but after learning how much of himself he put into writing them, I loved him even more.
This scarce First Edition exhibition catalog, in original wraps, was published in 1962 as a companion to an exhibit of 26 selected art works from the Michener Foundation. The exhibit was held from March 15 - April 5, 1962 at Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Free Shipping in the continental U.S.
The Sophisticated Reader in Los Angeles, CA
Vintage literature, art & design books, fashion magazines, decorative accessories & One-of-a-Kinds for the Sophisticated Reader.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email email@example.com to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.