Czech Black Bird Pottery Pitcher & Tumblers - Set of 7
This product is no longer available.
This is truly a wonderful find! This beautiful Joseph Mrazek Black Bird pitcher and tumbler set would be a statement ...
moreThis is truly a wonderful find! This beautiful Joseph Mrazek Black Bird pitcher and tumbler set would be a statement piece in your collection!
The set includes:
1 Pitcher measures 6 1/4" tall
7 Tumblers 4" tall (one tumblers has a small chip & crackline)
Please see photos for details.
At Christmas time in 1917, Macy’s department store ran an advertisement for a do-it-yourself ceramic artist kit, where a person could create their own pottery and Macy’s would fire the creation in their ovens to create a finished product. Joseph Mrazek could not resist, he was always intrigued by the application of paint and color on pottery. He ended up buying a few kits and experimenting with colors, changes of colors after firing, intensity of colors, and translucency. His friends and neighbors were so impressed with the pottery he created that they asked to buy it, and an idea formed in the mind of Joseph Mrazek. He decided to go back to Macy’s and buy a kiln so that he could fire the pottery himself. He went to Delancy Street and bought a large supply of open stock pieces to decorate. When it was obvious to him that this was a profitable venture, Mrazek started the Czecho Peasant Art Company from his apartment in New York City.
The early pieces are called the black bird pieces. This is because a thickly painted brush stroke in the shape of a blackbird was used to cover the previous mark on the pottery/porcelain mark of the Delancy Street pieces. These pieces had some of the most artistic variations in the Mrazek line.He rented a loft downtown on West 19th Street in lower Manhattan set up his business, and hired employees.
This “Blackbird” period lasted from 1918-1922. less
- 8.5ʺW × 5.25ʺD × 6.25ʺH
- Art Deco
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
Retro-Bot Vintage & Antiques in Dunmore, PA
Many vintage and antique styles available... Victorian, Art Deco, Mid Century Modern, Contemporary and so ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.