Antique Victorian Chesterfield Sofa with Ticking Fabric from Howard & Sons
We are delighted to offer for sale very rare, original victorian circa 1860 howard & son’s chesterfield sofa with the … moreWe are delighted to offer for sale very rare, original victorian circa 1860 howard & son’s chesterfield sofa with the original ticking fabric and long, elegant walnut turned legs this has to be the most comfortable chesterfield i have ever sat on, it has a soft coil sprung base and horsehair padded throughout as you can see. I have left the original ticking fabric in place as its period, the untouched original examples are quickly disappearing as they are snapped up by dealers the sofa retains all the original features, the coil sprung base, the factory ticking fabric to the arms and backrest, the hessian cover, twin exposed base stretchers, stamped castors and serial number and howard & son's berners street stamped inside back leg this sofa is a must have for any fine english furniture connoisseur, it screams country house style charm and charisma. Howard & son’s are simply put the finest chair makers in history, the queen even has a private collection. Restoration wise, i can have this piece full restored either in leather, then hand dyed a wonderful cigar or whisky brown colour (please check my other items for examples) alternatively, i can have it reupholstered by howard chairs ltd in the ticking fabric dimensions height:- 69cm width:- 220cm depth:- 92.5cm seat height:- 39 cm please note all measurements are taken at the widest point a history of howard and sons the name of howard and sons is probably one of the best known and highly sought after names in upholstered furniture. Over the next few paragraphs, i will do my best to give you a brief history of the company. The company was started by john howard in 1820 trading from 24 leman st, london as a cabinet maker. Over the next 25 years they would make several changes of premises within the whitechapel area. First to 27 great alie st (now just alie st) before moving a short distance to 34 great alie st. In 1844 the company made its first venture into upholstered furniture by opening a showroom/workshop at 36 red lion st. This was also to be a big move towards what would be their next and most famous location. In 1848 they moved to a new address much more accustomed with the name; berners st. London as “cabinet maker, upholsterer and decorator” under the name john howard and sons. The business seemed to boom at this location with workshops opening up at tottenham st, charlotte mews and fitzroy sq and an expansion to a second berners st building in 1853. In 1869 the company consolidated its many workshops into the one building on cleveland st. By 1872 the company was occupying 25, 26 and 27 berners st. These addresses would remain unchanged until 1935. During this period they became a limited company in 1899 and won the first of their royal warrants in 1901. In 1935 the the well established decorators lenygon and morant appear to take over the name with the business address being given as 31 old burlington st (lenygon and morant premises since 1909). Lenygon and morant later moved to south audley st where from 1954 they advertised as 'makers of howard chairs and sofas'. In 1967 the owners of lenygon and morant open howard chairs limited, the company operating from lyme st continue to make high quality sofas and armchairs. Exhibitions and important houses: at the 1862 international exhibition (the 3rd world expo) howard and sons entered a suite of library furniture for which they won a prize. They also went on to exhibit at the paris world's fair, called an exposition universelle twice; once in 1878 and again in 1900. Also at the exposition internationale d'anvers 1894 (international exposition/world fair antwerp). Winning prizes at them all including 1 silver and 2 golds. They also employed their eclectic styles working for many important clients providing furniture for important houses such as sudbury hall in derbyshire, elton hall, huntingdonshire and stokesay court, shropshire. Please note all measurements are taken at the widest point this item is available for collection from our pulborough warehouses condition please view the very detailed pictures as they form part of the description pertaining to the condition. Please note vintage period and original items such as leather seating will always have natural patina in the form of creasing and wear, we recommend annual waxing to ensure no moisture is lost, also hand dyed leather is not recommended to sit in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time as it will dry out and fade. less
- 86.61ʺW × 36.22ʺD × 27.17ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Unknown, Needs Restoration
- Condition Notes
- Worn — This vintage item has visible damages, defects, or small missing parts. It may be in need of restoration\. … moreWorn — This vintage item has visible damages, defects, or small missing parts. It may be in need of restoration\. Wear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Minor fading. less
- Enter a postal code for more accurate shipping information.
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
- Wood Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Modern Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Ash Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Blue Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Gold Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Green Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Leather Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Mid-Century Modern Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Persimmon Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Pink Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Red Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Scandinavian Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Stainless Steel Finish Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Transitional Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Wood Standard Sofas
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is entirely different than what you purchased
Orders where Free Local Pickup or Seller Managed Local Delivery were selected:
- Once you have taken possession of the item, all sales are final
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for the full cost of return packing and shipping.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- In-Home Delivery
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.
- International Parcel
- International parcel shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Fedex
- You will be updated with a tracking number once shipping is booked
- International parcel shipments can take anywhere from 1 - 6 weeks to be delivered
- In-Home Expedited International Shipping
- In-Home Expedited International Shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged by Metropolitan and will be delivered to your room of choice
- In-home expedited shipments can take anywhere from 3-7 weeks to be delivered
- Expedited International Shipping
- Expedited international shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- You will need tools and/or equipment to open the crate; Fedex will not open the crate for you
- You will be updated with a tracking number once your item has been booked for air shipment
- Expedited international shipments can take anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks to be delivered
- International Shipping
- International shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Schumacher Cargo and automatically come with in-home delivery
- You will receive a tracking number once your item has cleared customs