Wood and Fabric Baker Sofa by Finn Juhl for Design M
Sofa designed by finn juhl in 1951, relaunched in 2009. Manufactured by house of finn juhl in denmark. Edgar kaufmann … moreSofa designed by finn juhl in 1951, relaunched in 2009. Manufactured by house of finn juhl in denmark. Edgar kaufmann jr., a prolific art collector and director of the industrial design department at the museum of modern art in new york, introduced finn juhl to the american design circles. During a trip to denmark, he became so fascinated by finn juhl’s artistic take on furniture design that he invited him to the united states. In 1949, kaufmann jr. Wrote an article about finn juhl in the magazine interiors, which caught the attention of mr. Hollis baker, a furniture manufacturer from michigan. Hollis baker invited finn juhl to design a modern furniture collection for him. These events marked the beginning of what later on became known as danish modern, which started an export boom for danish design to the united states. The sculptural baker sofa with its two-piece backrest became finn juhl’s american debut. Dimensions: w: 195 cm d: 80 cm h: 98 cm seat height: 44 cm important information regarding images of products: please note that some of the images show other colors and variations of the model, these images are only to present interior design proposals. The item that is selling is on the first image. Important information regarding color(s) of products: actual colors may vary. This is due to the fact that every computer monitor, laptop, tablet and phone screen has a different capability to display colors and that everyone sees these colors differently. We try to edit our photos to show all of our products as life-like as possible, but please understand the actual color may vary slightly from your monitor about the designer: finn juhl was born on january 30, 1912 in copenhagen. He wished to study art history, however, his father would not allow it. Instead, finn juhl began studying architecture at the royal academy of arts in copenhagen. Here, he studied under some of the most influential functionalists of his time. Among these was the great architect vilhelm lauritzen who hired finn juhl at his own studio in 1934 before finn juhl had even graduated. Eventually, the work took up all of his time and finn juhl never finished his studies. Later in life he always described himself as a self-taught furniture designer. One of the international highlights of finn juhl’s career was designing the complete interior of the trusteeship council chamber at the un headquarters in new york between 1951 and 1952. His sculptural furniture is widely appreciated all-over the world. Today, finn juhl is still considered the father of danish modern, the design movement from denmark, that arose during the 1950s in the united states. At the time of his death in 1989, finn juhl had become an award-winning and highly respected international furniture artist. Finn juhl was greatly inspired by both modernism in art and functionalism in architecture. His genius was cross-pollinating these two fields, thus creating a completely new artistic idiom. Like sculptures, finn juhl’s designs are created to stand freely in a room. At the same time, they are developed with a playful insight into the practical function of every detail. About the manufacturer: in 2001 house of finn juhl trusted with the exclusive rights to manufacture and relaunch finn juhl’s sculptural and iconic furniture by finn juhl’s widow hanne wilhelm hansen. Today the unique finn juhl collection consists of more than 40 classic masterpieces, all of which they manufacture with the utmost respect for the original heritage and strict demands for quality. less
- 76.77ʺW × 31.5ʺD × 38.58ʺH
- Place of Origin
- Item Type
- Made to Order
- Estimated Lead Time: 4 months
+ Typical Shipping: 3-5 weeks
+ Typical Shipping: 3-4 months
+ Typical Shipping: 7-11 weeks
Return Policy - Cancel within 24 hours. This item is non-returnable.
- Wood Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Wood Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Green Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Mid-Century Modern Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Modern Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Ash Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Transitional Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Blue Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Gold Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Leather Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Persimmon Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Pink Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Red Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Scandinavian Standard Sofas
- New and Custom Stainless Steel Finish Standard Sofas
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- In-Home Delivery
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.
- International Parcel
- International parcel shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Fedex
- You will be updated with a tracking number once shipping is booked
- International parcel shipments can take anywhere from 1 - 6 weeks to be delivered
- In-Home Expedited International Shipping
- In-Home Expedited International Shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged by Metropolitan and will be delivered to your room of choice
- In-home expedited shipments can take anywhere from 3-7 weeks to be delivered
- Expedited International Shipping
- Expedited international shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- You will need tools and/or equipment to open the crate; Fedex will not open the crate for you
- You will be updated with a tracking number once your item has been booked for air shipment
- Expedited international shipments can take anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks to be delivered
- International Shipping
- International shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Schumacher Cargo and automatically come with in-home delivery
- You will receive a tracking number once your item has cleared customs