Custom Roll Arm Sofa With Modern Lines
^^ This custom built sofa was inspired by George Smith, but Smith is not the Maker.
This recent custom project turned ... more ^^ This custom built sofa was inspired by George Smith, but Smith is not the Maker.
This recent custom project turned out just wonderfully, but it was a trial prototype on our way to perfecting an English Roll Arm design to suit a sweet family of four in North Carolina.
This particular custom sofa was bench made by a family of crafters in the Decorative Arts District of Los Angeles. The Madrid family have been the makers behind an incredible suite of sofa silhouettes that have sold through such brand retailers and designers as One Kings Lane, WeeGoHome, Dwelling Home, and so many more.
This sofa was meticulously designed for a very laid back but sophisticated take on the Roll Arm. We looked to the tight back examples from George Sherlock and George Smith, we took in the proportions of Sofia Coppola & Jenna Lyons fame roll arms in pink and yellow, but we also considered a certain influence found in the clean tight modern vibes seen in the RH track and Belgian slope arm sofas.
We think we really married these ideas for a unique silhouette. Modern and Casual but with luxe, sophisticated roots!
We hope you agree!
The upholstery we selected is a 95% Poly 5% Linen, chosen with performance in mind for a family with children and pets. This upholstery is a rich, organic, neutral bordering on greige that will hide wear and tear easily, but it should do a fantastic job of rejecting it altogether due to its poly base. We do love a good linen slub and this upholstery carries all the beauty of a natural linen without sacrificing in the way of fragility!
The seat is extra deep at 42" so get ready to pile everyone on and lounge away for the entire marathon TV session!
This sofa was built to last with an all wood frame, a superior sinuous spring that is then hand-tied horizontally for extra strength, and finally we chose a bouncy trillium-cased dense foam for the seat back and we went a bit firmer on the seat back for max comfort. We love trillium, a soft organic plant based material that mimics the feel of feather/down, but holds shape and bounce far longer (and is more environmentally friendly).
Do let us know if you have any further questions about the construction, beyond the features below.
96"W x 43"D x 33"H
Arm Height: 25"
The seat height is 17" at the front seam, but 18" with the crown.
TIGHT BACK, BENCH CUSHION, FLAT SEAMS, PIPING ON SIDES!
WE HAVE SIGNIFICANTLY DISCOUNTED THIS ITEM!
We originally posted at a reasonable market value for this piece at $2750. We've since discounted as low as we can go.
We'd like to see it end up in a good home to someone with a discerning sensibility and just the right appreciation for this classic in a modern silhouette.
This is a great deal at $1950. less
- 96ʺW × 43ʺD × 33ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
- George Smith
The Estate of Things in Pacific Palisades, CA
Curated Vintage Finds & Eclectibles for your life at home! In it for the thrill of ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 22Ask the Seller / View All
- Chesterfield Couches & Sofas
- Circular Couches & Sofas
- Convertible Couches & Sofas
- Curved Couches & Sofas
- Leather Couches & Sofas
- Long Couches & Sofas
- Los Angeles Standard Sofas
- Microfiber Couches & Sofas
- Modern Standard Sofas
- Modular Couches & Sofas
- Patio Couches & Sofas
- Pull-Out Couches & Sofas
- Small Couches & Sofas
- Traditional Standard Sofas
- Tufted Couches & Sofas
- Velvet Couches & Sofas
- White Standard Sofas
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.