Custom Roll Arm Sofa With Modern Lines
^^ This custom built sofa was inspired by George Smith, but Smith is not the Maker.
This recent custom project turned ... more ^^ This custom built sofa was inspired by George Smith, but Smith is not the Maker.
This recent custom project turned out just wonderfully, but it was a trial prototype on our way to perfecting an English Roll Arm design to suit a sweet family of four in North Carolina.
This particular custom sofa was bench made by a family of crafters in the Decorative Arts District of Los Angeles. The Madrid family have been the makers behind an incredible suite of sofa silhouettes that have sold through such brand retailers and designers as One Kings Lane, WeeGoHome, Dwelling Home, and so many more.
This sofa was meticulously designed for a very laid back but sophisticated take on the Roll Arm. We looked to the tight back examples from George Sherlock and George Smith, we took in the proportions of Sofia Coppola & Jenna Lyons fame roll arms in pink and yellow, but we also considered a certain influence found in the clean tight modern vibes seen in the RH track and Belgian slope arm sofas.
We think we really married these ideas for a unique silhouette. Modern and Casual but with luxe, sophisticated roots!
We hope you agree!
The upholstery we selected is a 95% Poly 5% Linen, chosen with performance in mind for a family with children and pets. This upholstery is a rich, organic, neutral bordering on greige that will hide wear and tear easily, but it should do a fantastic job of rejecting it altogether due to its poly base. We do love a good linen slub and this upholstery carries all the beauty of a natural linen without sacrificing in the way of fragility!
The seat is extra deep at 42" so get ready to pile everyone on and lounge away for the entire marathon TV session!
This sofa was built to last with an all wood frame, a superior sinuous spring that is then hand-tied horizontally for extra strength, and finally we chose a bouncy trillium-cased dense foam for the seat back and we went a bit firmer on the seat back for max comfort. We love trillium, a soft organic plant based material that mimics the feel of feather/down, but holds shape and bounce far longer (and is more environmentally friendly).
Do let us know if you have any further questions about the construction, beyond the features below.
96"W x 43"D x 33"H
Arm Height: 25"
The seat height is 17" at the front seam, but 18" with the crown.
TIGHT BACK, BENCH CUSHION, FLAT SEAMS, PIPING ON SIDES!
WE HAVE SIGNIFICANTLY DISCOUNTED THIS ITEM!
We originally posted at a reasonable market value for this piece at $2750. We've since discounted as low as we can go.
We'd like to see it end up in a good home to someone with a discerning sensibility and just the right appreciation for this classic in a modern silhouette.
This is a great deal at $1950. less
- 96.0ʺW × 43.0ʺD × 33.0ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
- George Smith
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- White Glove Shipping available in continental U.S.
- Free Local Pickup in Pacific Palisades, CA
- Ask the seller if Local Delivery is available
The Estate of Things in Pacific Palisades, CA
Curated Vintage Finds & Eclectibles for your life at home! In it for the thrill of ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 22Ask the Seller / View All
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- Local Delivery
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.