Shepp's World Fair Photographed, 1893
The 1893 World's Fair was held to honor the 400th anniversary of Columbus's landfall in the New World. Also known ...
more The 1893 World's Fair was held to honor the 400th anniversary of Columbus's landfall in the New World. Also known as The Columbian Exposition, this extremely popular Fair helped usher in the Modern Consumer Age. For the first time in the U.S., technology, innovation and creativity were marketed to an audience eager for change. This fabulous Chicago-based Fair helped set the stage for Amusement Parks to follow, including Disneyland and Epcot. But, in 1893, it was all about razzle-dazzling the public.
This 528-page hardcover is a First Edition, 1893, published by Globe Bible Publishing Co. It is an amazing photographic survey of the Fair's original buildings - from 40 States, 19 Foreign Countries, and exhibits of industry and art. For its age, (123 years-old), the book is in fair-good, unmarked condition.The black-and-white photographs are crisp and clean. The page margins are lightly sunned, with a random age spot, here and there. The hinge is weak (the book is heavy) and the former owner stabilized it with tape, from the inside front cover to first free end page. The cover is faded, particularly at the spine seam, with color loss, but the gilt titles are still legible. The cover also is generally worn along the edges, as shown.
This book is both educational and entertaining - much like a visit to the Fair in 1893. It is worth remembering the Fair introduced so many products we use today - picture postcards, carbonated soda, hamburgers - even Cream of Wheat.
The Fair also inspired a good number of artists and writers - among them, Frank L. Baum, creator of The Wizard of Oz and OZ series. Paging through this book, you will see how it challenged his imagination, and that of other creatives. The 1893 Fair was remarkable! It displayed so much innovation - providing a window on the world like none other. less
- 10.6ʺW × 1.6ʺD × 8.5ʺH
- Fair Has lived a "full life" and has a distressed look with noticeable wear
The Sophisticated Reader in Los Angeles, CA
Vintage literature, art & design books, fashion magazines, decorative accessories & One-of-a-Kinds for the Sophisticated Reader.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact email@example.com if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.