Hand-Crafted Wooden Jewelry Box
This product is no longer available
This folk art form incorporates elements of pre-Hispanic, European and Chinese traditions which came together in colonial Mexico and continue ...
This folk art form incorporates elements of pre-Hispanic, European and Chinese traditions which came together in colonial Mexico and continue to develop today. First the wood or gourd surface is coated with a mixture of chía seed oil, made from the seeds of the Salvia plant, and aje, a waxy fat from an insect. Then a layer of earth is placed on top to absorb the oil. This “earth varnish” or lacquer is smoothed out and polished with a stone and the heel of the hand. This process may be repeated a number of times. Pigments can be added to create the background color. Recently, artists have begun to mix the background color in with the oil and have applied it with a brush. After it is dried, which may take several days, the decoration is applied.
There are three types of decoration, painted, incised and inlaid. Painted lacquerware employs pigments mixed with chía oil and applied with a brush to create pictorial scenes and patterns. Incised lacquerware utilizes negative space and multiple layers of colored lacquer. Decorative motifs are carved away to reveal another color of lacquer. Inlaid lacquerware is also carved. Deeper levels of the wood or gourd are revealed and then meticulously painted. All three techniques have the same final step, another layer of chía oil and/or aje are applied to the surface which is rubbed with a cloth to create a luster and protect the decorations.
Measures: 11 (L) x 7 (W) x 3 (H) less
- 11.0ʺW × 3.0ʺD × 7.0ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $12
- Free Local Pickup in Whittier, CA
Teterete Mexican Arts + Fine Crafts in Whittier, CA
Teterete and other animals representations are commonly used on art-crafts and art-work made by the ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact email@example.com if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.