Or save it to favorites and we'll tell you if this item goes on sale!
Louise Odes Neaderland Architectural "City", 1964
A great architectural themed oil on canvas by the noted artist Louise Odes Neaderland (b 1932). This oil is signed …
A great architectural themed oil on canvas by the noted artist Louise Odes Neaderland (b 1932). This oil is signed and dated 1964. It is out of an estate collection of her work that has not been seen since the early 1970's where they have been in storage. Black frame has been re-painted. There are lines across the canvas not sure if they are intentional, as there are no corresponding marks on the back.
A brief biography follows from wikipedia: Louise Odes Neaderland (born August 23, 1932) is an American printmaker, book artist and founder of the International Society of Copier Artists (I.S.C.A.) and the I.S.C.A. Quarterly, a collaborative mail, book art, and copy art publication. She was the organizer of ISCAGRAPHICS, a traveling exhibition of xerographic art. Neaderland is an alumna of Bard College and has a Master of Fine Arts degree in printmaking from the State University of Iowa. In 1952 she was awarded a Yale University Norfolk Fellowship in Printmaking. In both 1960 and 1962 she received fellowship awards from the Huntington Hartford Foundation.[citation needed. In 1986 she was awarded a National Endowment for the Arts grant for artists' bookmaking. The art of Louise Neaderland is represented in Special Collections of MOMA, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Getty Center, Brooklyn Museum of Art, Sackner Archive, and Jaffee Center of Art Book Art. Her books are included in the book art collection at Harvard University Library and in the Sydney, Australia collection Bibliotheca Librorum Apud Artificem. More than a dozen museums and educational institutions subscribed to the I.S.C.A. Quarterly, helping to establish xerography as a legitimate and collectible art form. The Quarterly is thought to be the longest running international art assemblage project in the history of such collaborative projects. Neaderland donated a complete set of I.S.C.A. Quarterlies to Bard College at Simon's Rock in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, along with copies of all of her books, 62 in all. The Special Collections department at the State University of Iowa in Iowa City has the archive of I.S.C.A. Neaderland continues to make books, and she has created a book which is a catalog of her books. For thirty-five years she has used the photocopy machine as a creative tool, editioning prints and artists' books under the imprint (also known as the imprimatur) of Bone Hollow Arts, located in Brooklyn, New York. Critical reception Joanna Scott, a writer for Afterimage, discussed the "idiosyncratic appearances of artists' books," which she thought might confound a reader/viewer unfamiliar with the content of two of the ISCA quarterlies, ISCA Quarterly: First Annual Bookworks Edition and ISCA Quarterly: Second Annual Bookworks Edition. In addition, Scott categorized and reviewed the ISCA photocopy books according to their diverse forms (matchbooks, stamp books, scrolls, miniature calendars, slides, wallets, and envelopes), and according to their content (". . .self helps, which offer moral advice; narratives, composed of broken or progressives successions of images; anthologies, which collect borrowed images or parodies of familiar images; pattern pieces, a catchall category for works that use original images in nonnarrative form; and ideologues, which announce their purpose outright." In 1991 Tom Trusky, Director of the Idaho Center for the Book, interviewed and videotaped Neaderland in her studio at 800 West End Avenue in NYC, where her studio was located from 1967-1994. Roy Proctor, art critic for the Richmond News-Leader, said of Neaderland in a 1990 review of the exhibition "Art ex Machina" at 1708 Gallery, then located in Shockoe Bottom in Richmond, Virginia, "She's living proof that, when a new technology begins to be mass-produced, artists will be curious enough--and imaginative enough--to explore its creative uses." In 1994 Proctor also reviewed "Art ex Libris", a curated invitational exhibition of artist's books, including books by Louise Neaderland, at Artspace Gallery, then on Broad Street in Richmond Virginia. Artspace received a Virginia Commission for the Arts Technical Assistance Grant to produce video documentation of all the exhibited books in "Art ex Libris", including those by Neaderland. less
- 40ʺW × 0.75ʺD × 36ʺH
- Mid-Century Modern
- Frame Type
- Art Subjects
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Oil Paint
- Good Condition, Original Design Modified, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good Black frame has been re-painted. There are lines across the canvas not sure if they are intentional, as there … moreGood Black frame has been re-painted. There are lines across the canvas not sure if they are intentional, as there are no corresponding marks on the back. Frame has been repainted black. Some minor paint loss and surface dirt. Wear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. less
Ask the Seller
Standard Returns & Cancellations
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified in the description of the product.
New Complimentary Extended Return for Trade
- Expands return window for trade members to 14 days (12 days more than our standard return policy)
- Valid on orders placed by January 15, 2024
- Trade member to notify Chairish of intent to return within 14 days of item delivery
- Buyer refunded item cost. Buyer pays return shipping cost
- Does not apply to damages that occur post-delivery
- Oversized Paintings
- New and Custom Velvet Paintings
- 19th Century Paintings
- Bathing Paintings
- Angel Paintings
- California Paintings
- French Oil Paintings
- Fox Hunt Paintings
- Queen Elizabeth Paintings
- Large Scale Paintings
- Abstract Landscape Painting
- Ukrainian Paintings
- Heron Paintings
- Plein Air Paintings
- New and Custom Paintings in Midland, TX
- Cheetah Paintings
- 19th Century Oil Paintings
- Abstract Oil Paintings
- Mid-Century Modern Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Landscape Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- Nude Paintings
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is entirely different than what you purchased
- Some made-to-order items and a limited selection of other items (noted as non-refundable in the returns and cancellations section of the product description)
Orders where Free Local Pickup or Seller Managed Local Delivery were selected:
- Upon inspection, If you decide not to move forward with the purchase, you or your agent must refuse the item at the time of pickup/delivery from the seller
- Once you have taken possession of the item, all sales are final
- International, cross-border returns may require different processes depending on the countries between which the item is shipping to/from, and the buyer is responsible and duties (if applicable, on cross-border orders).
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for the full cost of return packing and shipping.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason, with the exception of some Made-to-Order items, where supplies have been purchased or work begun on the item.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return and you will be responsible for the cost of shipping.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window that is added to the delivery time.
- Chairish Express In-Home Delivery
- Chairish Express In-Home deliveries are currently only offered for international cross-border shipments.
- The item will be delivered to your home and placed in the desired room. The delivery service includes unpacking, inspecting, and removing packaging materials; and does not include installation or setting up the item.
- Shipping charges start at $999 and vary based on the size, weight, packaging, and/or the value of the item.
- Deliveries can take anywhere from 6 to 9 weeks to be delivered.
- Chairish Freight Delivery
- Delivered in a crate, to your front door.
- You will need tools and/or equipment to open the crate.
- Shipping charges start at $799 and vary based on the size, weight, packaging, and/or the value of the item.
- Chairish Freight deliveries can take anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks.
- Only available in selected markets.
- Chairish In-Home Delivery
Shipping charges start at $149 and based on the size and the distance between pickup and delivery
(for approximate values see table):
Delivery Type Within 50 miles radius Within 1,500 miles radius Over 1,500 miles radius International Cross-Border Shipping Price $149 - $299 $199 - $799 $449 - $899 Over $899 Transit Time 2 to 4 weeks 3 to 6 weeks 4 to 8 weeks 12 to 17 weeks
- For some items, the shipping price may vary depending on the size, weight, material and/or value of the item.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Once the item has been picked up (by you or your representative) it cannot be returned or refunded.
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
Delivery Type US Domestic International Cross-Border Shipping Price $9 - $99 $39 - $499 Transit Time 1 to 2 weeks 2 to 4 weeks
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.
Make an Offer
Fees and shipping costs will be calculated in the next step
Have questions about how offers work? Learn more or .