Antique French Trumeau Mirror
Antique French Trumeau Mirror. Chippy white detail on the top wood panel with carving of woman's face. This mirror is ...
moreAntique French Trumeau Mirror. Chippy white detail on the top wood panel with carving of woman's face. This mirror is 51 inches wide and 57 inches high, and has great patina showing off it's age (see condition notes for details).
From ApartmentTherapy.com: "The original trumeau mirrors were set into wood paneling, or boiserie (bwah-zer-EE), the fancy carved wall-covering of choice in the 17th and 18th centuries. As we’ve seen, glass was an expensive resource then, so at first it was unusual to have even small mirrors set into the decor. As mirror glass became easier to produce in larger squares, it would occasionally be incorporated into paneling.
In French, trumeau is the word for the thin section of wall between two doors or windows. The word was first used to describe a mirror on that section of wall in the early 1700s. By the middle of the century, it was used to describe a mirror above a mantle (in English, we call that a pier glass).
The trumeau mirror gained popularity among the growing upper-middle class, who were looking to emulate the wall-paneled aristocracy. One of the results of the Industrial Revolutions was the rise of the merchant class, who were making more money and then spending it on making their homes more like those of the ossified upper class in their old family estates with lots of wood paneling. In fact, some of these old estates were dismantled, with furnishings — and paneling — sold on the secondary market. So paneling was in. And mirrors were also in: by the middle of the 19th century, manufacturers had figured out how to make plate glass in large panels, so it was more practical and much less expensive to install mirrors. And so mirrors made out of old paneling, or with frames made to look like old paneling, would have also been in." less
- 51ʺW × 2.5ʺD × 57ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Unknown, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Chips in the paint on the wood, pictured. Some scratches and chips in the carved wood detail, and minor scratches ... moreChips in the paint on the wood, pictured. Some scratches and chips in the carved wood detail, and minor scratches to the back piece. More photos upon request. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 3-6 weeks.
20837 does not qualify.
Interiors Market in Atlanta, GA
Blends modern, vintage, & antique pieces for an eclectic eye. Home Décor · Lighting · Furniture · Artwork & more!
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.