Antique French Marquetry Wine Serving Accent Table by Paul Sormani & Fils
A most attractive wine serving table from the firm of renowned ébéniste, Paul Sormani. Designed with a hint of the ...
moreA most attractive wine serving table from the firm of renowned ébéniste, Paul Sormani. Designed with a hint of the Neoclassicism of a century prior, the angular table is raised over legs with an intense trumpet-effect, each tapering sharply to a tiny ankle with deep fluting. They are locked in place with conjoined opposing U-form stretchers over toupie feet.
Throughout the table top, rich marquetry patterns and designs are elegantly worked into the surface. The sides and lid feature a woven light-and-dark wood panel surrounded by cross-banding while the frame around the lid is worked with an intricate scaled motif.
Two cast bronze knobs are used to lift the lid from the table, revealing a lead-lined interior where wine can be chilled and served. A tiny plaque is affixed to the rosewood veneered underside of the lid, reading "Vve (Veuve) P. Sormani & Fils" and noting the address of manufacture at 10 Rue Charlot in Paris, a premises they occupied from 1867 through 1914.
For passionate collectors of fine French objects, the works by Paul Sormani's firm are always visually rich and of inordinately good quality.
Born in Venice, Italy in 1817, Paul Sormani established his firm at age 30 in 1847 at 7, Cimetière Saint-Nicholas in Paris as a craftsman of fine deluxe furniture (meubles de luxe) in the Louis XV and Louis XVI taste. Quickly garnering enormous attention and recognition as one of the finest ébénistes of his day, he exhibited extensively at the Exposition Universelle in Paris in 1849, 1855, 1862, 1867, 1878 and 1900 as well as other leading exhibitions in Europe. He received the medal of Premiere Classe at the Exposition in 1855 along with numerous other awards and medals throughout his career.
In review of his work at the 1867 Exposition Universelle in Paris, the catalogue of the event wrote of him: "...the whole of his production exhibits craftsmanship of the highest quality (toute sa production révèle une qualité dexécution de tout premier ordre)." The journal also noted him as "...a distinguished ébéniste of Paris, whose works deservedly attracted the attention of the public, and received the marked approval of the connoisseur."
In 1854, he moved his business to 111, Rue du Temple in Paris and again in 1867 moving to 10 rue Charlot. Here his business flourished until his death in 1877, at which time his son Paul-Charles (born 1848) and his wife Ursule-Marie Phillipine operated the company under the name Sormani Veuve Paul et Fils - pieces crafted by the firm during this time are often signed Veuve Sormani & Fils. Joining in partnership with the famous Thiebault Freres in 1914, they moved the business the same year to 134, Boulevard Haussmann until 1934 when they closed their doors.
Much of Sormanis work is either stamped on the wood or engraved on the lockplate, often with an accompanying address. As such, his works can often be dated with the assistance of both the address and types of mounts used on his work.
While the firm closed its doors during the Great Depression, the works of Paul Sormani remain cherished in important collections around the world as some of the most beautifully rendered reproductions of 18th Century decorative arts on the market. His exacting standards for craftsmanship are evident in the precision of bronze mounts, choice of the finest woods and veneers and period craftsmanship that insisted on perfection in every detail.
Measurements: 30 1/4" H x 25" W x 16 3/4" D less
- 25ʺW × 16.75ʺD × 30.25ʺH
- 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- In estate-found condition. Some chipping and patching to corners of the stretcher cuffs (above feet). Some roughness/ripple/repair to ... moreIn estate-found condition. Some chipping and patching to corners of the stretcher cuffs (above feet). Some roughness/ripple/repair to marquetry inlays around wine well, likely old water damage, as well as some shrinkage cracks in the corners. Veneer patches around edges of top. Other blemish/chips to surface from use. less
- Paul Sormani
- Paul Sormani
- Paul Sormani
- Place of Origin
- Table Shape
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 3-6 weeks.
67570 does not qualify.
SILLA, LTD. | Antiques & Works of Art in Shippensburg, PA
Located in the historic downtown of Shippensburg, PA, Silla Ltd is a destination for pure ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Brass Side Tables
- Rosewood Side Tables
- Metal Side Tables
- Triangle Side Tables
- Folding Side Tables
- Gold Side Tables
- Round Side Tables
- Neoclassical Side Tables
- Narrow Side Tables
- Wood Side Tables
- Antique Side Tables
- Pedestal Side Tables
- Brown Side Tables
- Traditional Side Tables
- Side Tables with Storage
- Small Side Tables
- Tall Side Tables
- Outdoor Side Tables
- White Outdoor Side Tables
- Bronze Side Tables
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.