Mid-Century Vintage John Stuart Sofa Couch
This product is no longer available.
This is an absolutely stunning sofa by Erwin Lambeth for John Stuart. It has been meticulously reupholstered in premium striped ...
moreThis is an absolutely stunning sofa by Erwin Lambeth for John Stuart. It has been meticulously reupholstered in premium striped fabric designed by Paul Smith for Maharam. No detail was overlooked. All of the stripes line up perfectly from front to back and mirror at the seams. This incredible fabric is even used under the cushions, where the original tag has been carefully reattached.
97" wide x 36" deep x 28" high
Seat height: 15"
Seat depth: 20"
When we found this sofa, the original fabric was a worn but glorious velvet in purple, hot pink, and brown (we can share a photo of it with you). It took us months to track down a replacement that honors the unapologetic style of the original. At retail price, this Paul Smith fabric alone runs at more than $3,000 (20 yds x $151 ea.). It is 92% wool, 8% nylon, 75,000 double rubs, and is made in the UK. The colors include two shades of purple, hot pink, bright orange, brown, black, white, and red.
The look of this piece is sophisticated yet relaxed. It sits low on slanted, black, hardwood supports and looks just as good from the back as the front. The pillow-stuffed back cushions are cushy and casual. The seat cushions are made from premium medium-soft foam. They are rounded at the front with pleating at the edges, which slightly curve inward. The arms are wrapped in soft cushions that are secured with tacked straps. The stitching on the straps is red. If you flip over any of the straps, you will see the credit line that was embroidered along the edge of the fabric bolt, "Stripes a Paul Smith Design by Maharam." We have stapled that same line of text on the underside of the sofa. The piping was made from the brown stripe of the same fabric, so it will age in exactly the same way as the rest of the sofa.
The original frame on this piece is equally uncompromising. It is built from solid hardwood with perfectly rounded edges and corners. Take a close at the curved corners on the sides and back of the sofa -- the hardwood frame is sculpted in exactly the same way under layers of fabric and padding. Over the past 50 years of use, the frame has remained structurally sound -- no loosening or splits. We have replaced the seat straps.
Please take a look at all of the photos to see just how extraordinary this sofa is. If you have any questions, please ask before buying. less
- 97ʺW × 36ʺD × 28ʺH
- Mid 20th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Design Modified, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent condition. All aspects of this item have been inspected and any repairs needed have been made. Excellent condition. All aspects of this item have been inspected and any repairs needed have been made. less
- John Stuart
- Erwin Lambeth
- Place of Origin
- North America
- Seat Height
- 15.0 inches
- Seat Interior Depth
- 20.0 inches
Sweet Modern in Akron, OH
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.