- Casegoods & Storage
- Credenzas & Sideboards
- Early 20th Century Antique Shapland & Petter Wi...
Early 20th Century Antique Shapland & Petter William Cowie Arts & Crafts Oak Sideboard
Henry Shapland and Henry Petter formed their furniture company, Shapland & Petter of Raleigh Cabinet Works, Pitton, Barnstaple, North Devon ...
moreHenry Shapland and Henry Petter formed their furniture company, Shapland & Petter of Raleigh Cabinet Works, Pitton, Barnstaple, North Devon, in 1854.
Their Elizabethan and Neoclassic reproductions, along with their fascination with modern manufacturing technology, naturally led to an interest in producing furniture in the Arts & Crafts style.
Although most Shapland & Petter pieces went unmarked, we can make some construction and design observations to ascertain a Shapland & Petter attribution.
On this sideboard in particular, we see the straight lines, long strap repousse copper hinges, ring pulls, cut-through work, piercing, hearts with distinctly pointed bottoms, the stylized matrix plant forms carved into the wood panels in such a way as to show the bursting seed pods and flowers in relief, the peacock tail tips shown in the top fret, spade feet, the front door panels set into the frames from the back with pinned moldings, and the backs of the drawers have hidden dovetails giving strong and smooth running drawers.
The construction attributes noted above align with the work of William Cowie who was head of the Shapland & Petter design team in the late 19th century through the early 20th. Also on the design team at the time were James Henry Rudd, author and contributor to "Cabinet Making: Principles of Designing, Construction and Laying Out Work", and Henry Percy Shapland, grandson of the company founder.
This Arts & Crafts sideboard with beveled glass mirror is constructed of plain oak wood.
Sideboard will suit Arts & Crafts, Craftsman, Mission, and Art Nouveau interiors and will complement collections including designs by C.R. Ashbee, Baillie Scott, Liberty, Charles Voysey, E.A. Taylor, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, and William Morris.
Sideboard also useful for cocktail bar or for sink in bathroom. less
- 54ʺW × 19.5ʺD × 79.5ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
India Street Antiques / Danish Modern San Diego in San Diego, CA
India Street Antiques has been importing European vintage and antiques to San Diego since 1991 ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Traditional Credenzas and Sideboards
- Metal Credenzas and Sideboards
- Floating Credenzas
- San Diego Credenzas and Sideboards
- Antique Credenzas
- Art Nouveau Credenzas and Sideboards
- Brown Credenzas and Sideboards
- Glass Credenzas and Sideboards
- Oak Credenzas and Sideboards
- Bar Credenzas
- Wood Credenzas and Sideboards
- Arts and Crafts Credenzas and Sideboards
- Wine Credenzas
- Entertainment Credenzas
- Low Credenzas
- File Credenzas
- Media Credenzas
- TV Credenzas
- Copper Credenzas and Sideboards
- Office Credenzas
- Chocolate Credenzas and Sideboards
- Mirror Credenzas and Sideboards
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.