Antique French Bronze Sculpture of a Soldier on Horseback by Emmanuel Fremiet
A rare and very fine model of Soldier on Horseback by Emmanuel Fremiet, the work exhibits the innate strength Fremiet ...
moreA rare and very fine model of Soldier on Horseback by Emmanuel Fremiet, the work exhibits the innate strength Fremiet had to capture an animal with total anatomical accuracy without even a hint of the former Romanticism that dominated animal subjects formerly. This highly complex sculpture depicts one of Napoleon III’s troops provisioned, mounted and at the ready. The horse is calm and quiet, the muscular body beautifully finished and detailed with fine chiseling around the hair and face, expert handling of the reins and complex strapping and intricate work around the small elements of the soldier’s gear.
Fremiet benefited greatly from the patronage of Comte de Nieuwerkerke who held high cultural office as Surintendant des Beaux Arts under the reign of Napoleon III of the Second Empire. Nieuwerkerke engaged Fremiet to redecorate the Louvre with stand-alone sculptural commissions as well as architectural sculpture for the building; he further commissioned Fremiet to complete the monumental original of “Pan et Oursons” in marble. Fremiet worked hard to define himself not purely as an Animalier, working in an incredibly broad range of subjects and genres. But his animal sculptures remain some of his most memorable and enjoyable, particularly the smaller bronzes of individual animals.
Literature and Further Reading:
The Animaliers, James Mackay, p. 39-45
“Bronze Sculpture of Les Animaliers”, Jane Horswell, p. 181-200
Art Bronzes, Michael Forest
Animals in Bronze, Christopher Payne [present example not represented]
Bronzes of the Nineteenth Century: Dictionary of Bronze Sculptors, Pierre Kjellberg, p. 327-337
Marks/Inscriptions: Signed E. Fremiet on naturalistic base, stamped 8 on soldier’s helmet, stamped 211 on straps
Measurements: 11 1/2” W x 4 3/8” D x 13 5/8” H less
- 11.5ʺW × 4.38ʺD × 13.63ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Place of Origin
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Some small breaks/losses to reins. Tip of sword abraded; patina wear to upraised edges of pant legs, rim of ... moreSome small breaks/losses to reins. Tip of sword abraded; patina wear to upraised edges of pant legs, rim of hat etc. as expected. Fine original patina. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
SILLA, LTD. "Fine Antiques, Art and Sculpture" in Shippensburg, PA
Silla, Ltd. is located in the historic downtown of Shippensburg, PA. Our collection focuses on ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Angel Sculptures
- Aphrodite Sculptures
- Bas Relief Sculptures
- Bear Sculptures
- Bronze Sculpture
- Bronze Sculpture
- Buddha Sculptures
- Bust Sculptures
- Cat Sculptures
- Classical Sculptures
- Cubist Sculptures
- Dragon Sculptures
- Eagle Sculptures
- Egyptian Sculptures
- Elephant Sculptures
- Geometric Sculptures
- Gold Sculpture
- Greek Sculptures
- Hand Sculptures
- Heart Sculptures
- Horse Sculptures
- Indian Sculptures
- Lion Sculptures
- Lotus Sculptures
- Metal Sculpture
- Metal Wall Sculptures
- Mobile Sculptures
- Nude Sculptures
- Owl Sculptures
- Relief Sculptures
- Roman Sculptures
- Sound Sculptures
- Surrealist Sculptures
- Tree Sculptures
- Venus Sculptures
- Wire Sculptures
- Wolf Sculptures
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.