1910s Arts and Crafts Conrey-Davis Furniture Company Hall Tree
Conrey-Davis Furniture Company of Shelbyville, Indiana, was formed in 1901 by Jacob A. Conrey and Lee C. and Charles Davis ...
moreConrey-Davis Furniture Company of Shelbyville, Indiana, was formed in 1901 by Jacob A. Conrey and Lee C. and Charles Davis after the reorganization of the D.L. Conrey Furniture Company founded by Jacob's father David Larue Conrey. the founder of furniture manufacturing in Shelbyville, Indiana, later dubbed "Little Grand Rapids" because of it's number and quality of furniture manufacturers.
D.L. Conrey was born in 1830. At 17 he moved to Cincinnati to learn and work in cabinet making. When he returned to Franklin City, Indiana in 1852 he opened a furniture store at Mt. Carmel where furniture and coffins were hand made to order.
In 1870 he arrived in Shelbyville, Indiana and after getting married and working briefly as a teacher, he engaged in business with Zacharias Waller making furniture in a small way. In 1874 they reorganized the firm with a partnership between the two of them and Mr. John C. DePrez. Their partnership marked the beginning of furniture manufacturing in Shelbyville.
Jacob had been born in 1853 and spent his early working life as general sales manager for the Conrey-Waller-DePrez firm, where he operated one of the first manufacturing plants in Shelbyville.
In 1884-1885 Jacob organized the Conrey-Birely Table Company with inventor Charles Birely. Mr. Birely patented a method of attaching table legs in 1896 and in 1899 the Conrey-Birely Table Company filed papers to increase their capital stocks to $500,000. The company became the largest exclusive center and library table factory in the world and shipped their tables to many European cities.
By 1895 the Conrey-Waller-DePrez firm was out of business; however Mr. Conrey organized the D.L. Conrey Furniture Company. This company was reorganized in 1901 by Jacob to become the Conrey-Davis Furniture Company which operated for over 20 years.
The company was also known as the Davis-Birely Furniture Company in reference to the partnership between the inventor Charles Birely and company president Charles Davis.
The hall tree offered here is made from the white oak that grew in Shelbyville. The copper pan at the bottom of the umbrella stand is painted with black enamel on the top. The Arts & Crafts style was influenced by the rectilinear aesthetic of Charles Eastlake. This geometric style compliments interiors decorated in the manner of Craftsman, Mission, Arts & Crafts, Eastlake, and American oak from circa 1900. less
- 19.5ʺW × 19.5ʺD × 68ʺH
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Restored, Some Imperfections
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
India Street Antiques / Danish Modern San Diego in San Diego, CA
India Street Antiques has been importing European vintage and antiques to San Diego since 1991 ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.