Henry Pember Smith Landscape Painting of Cottage by Lake
Henry Pember Smith (American, 1854-1907) Landscape Painting of Cottage by Lake
This very finely painted scene depicts a lakeside cottage ... moreHenry Pember Smith (American, 1854-1907) Landscape Painting of Cottage by Lake
This very finely painted scene depicts a lakeside cottage during late spring, the tranquil water disturbed only by a pair of small ducks floating along the bank. In the grassy lawn a lone figure is pumping water from his well under a bright sky. The high-chroma palette with its' vivid greens and blues brings a cheery spirit to the scene. The inordinately excellent handling of the water is noteworthy, the impressionism in the reflections perfectly life-like while remaining dreamy hints of the reality behind the image; pods and light scum on the surface of the water are firm, while the rest of the water is a kaleidoscope of blurred reflections. It is signed in his typical block script in the lower left corner "Henry P Smith”. The work is presentation-ready, having been relined and conserved in the last decade.
Born in Waterford, Connecticut in 1854, Henry Pember Smith was entirely self-taught as a painter. He traveled extensively and painted numerous landscapes of Normandy, England Brittany and particularly of Venice. He developed a reputation for his work as a landscape artist and became commercially successful in his lifetime. The body of his work focused on escapism, paintings that idealized tranquility and the essence of a quiet countryside, following in the trend of his contemporaries to present work that would appeal to an ever urbanizing audience. His work is noteworthy for its’ handling of light and watery reflections, these treated with intricate brush work that just touched on impressionism, creating a dream-like effect that engendered nostalgia. Visions of homely cottages, farms by the waters edge, Venetian buildings on canals and small village centers are all painted in his very distinct stylizing. He maintained studios in New York City and exibitioned extensively at the Brooklyn Arts Association, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts and the National Academy of Design; he was also a member of the American Watercolor Society. His works are held in museums and institutions that include the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Brooklyn Art Museum, Cincinnati Art Museum, the North Carolina Museum of Art, and the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco to list a few. He lived in the seaside town of Asbury Park, NJ until his death in 1907.
Measurements: 21 1/2” W x 1 5/8” D x 17 1/4” H [frame]; 16” W x 12” H [canvas] less
- 21.5ʺW × 1.63ʺD × 17.25ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Place of Origin
- North America
- Oil Paint
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Relined; period frame with minor gilding losses, probably original. Under UV showing spots of touch up, primarily to old craquelure ... moreRelined; period frame with minor gilding losses, probably original. Under UV showing spots of touch up, primarily to old craquelure; light surface craquelure throughout. Overall remaining in excellent presentation-ready condition. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
SILLA, LTD. "Fine Antiques, Art and Sculpture" in Shippensburg, PA
Silla, Ltd. is located in the historic downtown of Shippensburg, PA. Our collection focuses on ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- 3D Paintings
- Action Paintings
- Beach Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- Car Paintings
- Cat Paintings
- Cherry Blossom Paintings
- Classic Paintings
- Color Field Paintings
- Dot Paintings
- Elephant Paintings
- Face Paintings
- Famous Paintings
- Flower Paintings
- Forest Paintings
- Galaxy Paintings
- Genre Paintings
- Greek Paintings
- Green Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- House Paintings
- Landscape Paintings
- Miniature Paintings
- Moon Paintings
- Nude Body Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Rock Paintings
- Skull Paintings
- Still Life Paintings
- Sunflower Paintings
- Sunset Paintings
- Surrealist Paintings
- Tree Paintings
- Venus Paintings
- Wood Paintings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.