Are clients more difficult today than they used to be? “In this new world, particularly of social media, a lot of people feel as though they are a designer, and I think that sometimes gets in the way when you’re working with a client,” says designer Sheila Bridges in this week’s episode of the Chairish Podcast. “Sometimes they think they can do our job.” For this episode, host Michael Boodro is joined by Bridges, along with two other renowned designers, Richard Mishaan and Josh Greene, to examine how the relationship between client and designer has changed in the era of social media, and how designers can successfully work with challenging clients.
In this episode, we find out how to deal with difficult clients and more:
- Challenges of working with clients
- What ignited a shift in client behavior
- Establishing boundaries and understanding expectations
- Paying due diligence
- Red flags to watch out for
- Photography agreements
- Client relation best practices
Get to know our high-profile guests:
Named “America’s Best Interior Designer” by CNN and Time Magazine, Sheila Bridges founded her own interior design firm, Sheila Bridges Design, in 1994. She recently launched her own product line originally based in French toile wallcoverings — called Toile de Jouy — that has expanded to include a variety of good home goods. Toile de Jouy motifs challenge some of the stereotypes about the African-American experience. Her work is embellished with thoughtful pieces and colors, and has landed her on the Architectural Digest 100 and Elle Decor’s A-List from 2011 to 2019.
Owner of Richard Mishaan Design, Richard Mishaan holds more than three decades of experience in design, combining his knowledge of fashion, architecture, and interior design. He has crafted style ranging from urban to beachside in his distinctly layered and luxe, colorful style.
One year ago, Josh Greene founded his own firm, Josh Greene Design, that focuses on creating stylish environments balancing functionality, warmth, and comfort. He has over 15 years of design experience and has been featured on publications such as the New York Times, Architectural Digest, and House Beautiful.
Discover the work of our marvelous guests, and find more tips:
- Tour Sheila’s colorful home in Reykjavík via The Cut
- Inside Richard’s chic space in New York via Architectural Digest
- Check out this beach house from Josh and his former partner via Architectural Digest
- More tips for handling challenging clients via Kathy Kuo
Connect with us on Instagram:
- Chairish: @chairishco
- Michael Boodro: @michaelboodro
- Sheila Bridges: @harlemtoilegirl
- Richard Mishaan: @richardmishaan
- Josh Greene: @joshgreenedesign
Lead photo by Chris Mottalini / Design by Sheila Bridges