Vintage Hoffritz Germany Nyc Gentleman's Leather Grooming Travel Kit
This vintage kit is enclosed in a zippered case (zipper in excellent working condition). The case is hunter green leather ...
moreThis vintage kit is enclosed in a zippered case (zipper in excellent working condition). The case is hunter green leather on the outside and camel tan suede on the inside with hunter green leather trim and instrument holders. Included inside the kit are all original Hoffritz stainless steel instruments, including little scissors, medium scissors, nail pick/cuticle pusher, double-sided nail file with an elegant, engraved/etched silver handle, and hunter green leather push for an emory board. There is an extra instrument holder for an instrument of your choice. It is gold embossed 'HOFFRITZ NEW YORK'.
This gentleman's grooming kit belonged to my elegant father Martin Hannon, a portrait painter and world traveler. He took impeccable care of his belongings.
The U.S. firm of Hoffritz was loosely associated with the German firm of the same name. The company was established in New York City in the early 1930's. They were importers, retailers and wholesalers of a wide range of cutlery products, including knives, razors and scissors. Most of their products came from the better quality makers in Solingen, Germany. They are well known for their high quality pocket knives ; cigar cutters ; hunting and skinning knives ; daggers ; nail nippers ; tweezers ; cuticle scissors ; professional slicers and fish filet knives ; cold meat forks ; corkscrews and caplifters ; can openers ; poultry shears ; carving sets ; stainless steel flatware ; scissors and sewing sets ; etc.
Hoffritz in America History:
In 1867 emigrated John Hoff Ritz (1846-1933), a brother of the founder Nicholas Hoffritz from Schweinfurt, at the age of 23 years on the ship Allemannia to America. He had a son named John Edwin Hoff Ritz (1870-1942). His son, also named Edwin John (born in Brooklyn, NYC on 09/11/1895, died. 09/04/1973), founded the company "Hoffritz for Cutlery".
The first retail stores were opened in the early 30's, after the depression. It started about six shops in New York City, which earned its reputation with Solingen cutlery such as kitchen and pocket knives, scissors and hair razors etc., housewares and Swiss Army knives.
A few years before his death, he sold the company and the new owners opened many stores throughout the United States. Again, the company was sold, but the name Hoffritz remained.
In the retail recession of the 80s began to adopt more favorable cutlery from around the world to the range, though, or perhaps because they lost market share.
In the nineties we had to file for bankruptcy, and the shops were up to a few privately discontinued, all closed. It survived only the brand name "Hoffritz Cutlery", now used for good household products, produced in many countries in the world.
Edwin had no children; his wife Helen, nee Higgins (she died after him) founded the Helen Hoffritz Foundation, the money benefited various charitable causes. less
- 3ʺW × 5ʺD × 1ʺH
- English Traditional
- Place of Origin
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history, my father barely used it. Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history, my father barely used it. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Genevieve Hannon in Kanab, UT
I'm a professional singer and voiceover artist for 2 decades, plus a veterinary technician ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.