Maison Millet Bronze & Ormolu Chandelier- Circa 1860
This product is no longer available.
This item is only available for sale until 1/21/18!
Rare, stunning, Louis XVI style gilt and patinated bronze ... moreThis item is only available for sale until 1/21/18!
Rare, stunning, Louis XVI style gilt and patinated bronze six-light chandelier, after the model by François Rémond from the Belle Epoque era. This elegant chandelier is modelled as an amphora-shaped urn with a spiral fluted neck surmounted by a torch finial, and set with three finely modelled female caryatid figures, each holding two scrolling candle arms. An ormolu corona and grape cluster finial embellish the bottom of the piece. The chandelier is hung by three tassel and rope motif chains attached by an acanthus medallion and a large gold ring. A burnished 48" long black and gold chain link and "S" hook are included for adjustable heights. Originally a colza type oil lamp with a reservoir, it has now been wired for electricity.
Dimensions: 33"h x 19.5"diameter
Note: Established in Paris in 1853 and remaining in operation until 1918, the Maison Millet firm specialized in bronze mounts for furniture, developing a reputation for very fine execution. Starting with the Exposition Universelle of 1889 (where they won a gold medal), the firm began making luxury furniture and decorative objects featuring their bronze work, and by the 1890s were well known as an important producer. They were awarded numerous other prizes in Paris and London, including a Grand Prix at the 1900 Paris Exposition, three diplomes d'honneur and four further gold medals. Sometime after 1900 they opened a second office in Nice, and in 1902 moved their Paris offices from 11 rue Jacques-Coeur to 23 Boulevard Beaumarchais. It is known that Francois Linke was a client of Maison Millet. Provenance: An Important Private Collection, Southern California. Originally purchased from Stair Antiques in London.
The ciseleur-doreur François Rémond (1747-1812), was a leading Parisian gilder and bronzier during the second half of the 1700s.
He began his apprenticeship in 1763 with the doreur Pierre-Antoine Vial, and was elected maître on 14 December 1774. He worked principally for the marchand mercier Dominique Daguerre, although he was also employed directly by ébénistes such as David Roentgen and Jean-Henri Riesener and collaborated on some pieces with the bronze caster Pierre Gouthière, helping him on some of his larger projects.
Rémond built up a successful business patronised by members of the French court, counting Marie-Antoinette, the Comte d'Artois, the Duc de Penthièvre and the Comte d'Adhémar amongst his principal patrons.
Condition: In excellent condition. General rubbing, marks, and scratches commensurate with age. less
- 19.5ʺW × 19.5ʺD × 33ʺL
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
BW Home in San Diego, CA
BW Home is located in the coastal town of Solana Beach, California. We take pride ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Antique Chandeliers
- Beaded Chandeliers
- Belle Epoque Chandeliers
- Birdcage Chandeliers
- Black Chandeliers
- Blown Glass Chandeliers
- Branch Chandeliers
- Bronze Chandeliers
- Brushed Nickel Chandeliers
- Bubble Chandeliers
- Cage Chandeliers
- Candle Chandeliers
- Capiz Shell Chandeliers
- Drum Chandeliers
- Edison Bulb Chandeliers
- Entryway Chandeliers
- Farmhouse Chandeliers
- Flower Chandeliers
- Forest Chandeliers
- Geometric Chandeliers
- Globe Chandeliers
- Gold Chandeliers
- Large Chandeliers
- Louis XVI Chandeliers
- Metal Chandeliers
- Mini Chandeliers
- Oil Rubbed Bronze Chandeliers
- Orb Chandeliers
- Plug In Chandeliers
- Rectangular Chandeliers
- Rope Chandeliers
- Round Chandeliers
- San Diego Chandeliers
- Small Chandeliers
- Sphere Chandeliers
- Sputnik Chandeliers
- Square Chandeliers
- Stained Glass Chandeliers
- Starburst Chandeliers
- Tiffany Chandeliers
- Traditional Chandeliers
- Tree Chandeliers
- Wood Bead Chandeliers
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.