Maison Millet Bronze & Ormolu Chandelier- Circa 1860
This product is no longer available.
This item is only available for sale until 1/21/18!
Rare, stunning, Louis XVI style gilt and patinated bronze ... more This item is only available for sale until 1/21/18!
Rare, stunning, Louis XVI style gilt and patinated bronze six-light chandelier, after the model by François Rémond from the Belle Epoque era. This elegant chandelier is modelled as an amphora-shaped urn with a spiral fluted neck surmounted by a torch finial, and set with three finely modelled female caryatid figures, each holding two scrolling candle arms. An ormolu corona and grape cluster finial embellish the bottom of the piece. The chandelier is hung by three tassel and rope motif chains attached by an acanthus medallion and a large gold ring. A burnished 48" long black and gold chain link and "S" hook are included for adjustable heights. Originally a colza type oil lamp with a reservoir, it has now been wired for electricity.
Dimensions: 33"h x 19.5"diameter
Note: Established in Paris in 1853 and remaining in operation until 1918, the Maison Millet firm specialized in bronze mounts for furniture, developing a reputation for very fine execution. Starting with the Exposition Universelle of 1889 (where they won a gold medal), the firm began making luxury furniture and decorative objects featuring their bronze work, and by the 1890s were well known as an important producer. They were awarded numerous other prizes in Paris and London, including a Grand Prix at the 1900 Paris Exposition, three diplomes d'honneur and four further gold medals. Sometime after 1900 they opened a second office in Nice, and in 1902 moved their Paris offices from 11 rue Jacques-Coeur to 23 Boulevard Beaumarchais. It is known that Francois Linke was a client of Maison Millet. Provenance: An Important Private Collection, Southern California. Originally purchased from Stair Antiques in London.
The ciseleur-doreur François Rémond (1747-1812), was a leading Parisian gilder and bronzier during the second half of the 1700s.
He began his apprenticeship in 1763 with the doreur Pierre-Antoine Vial, and was elected maître on 14 December 1774. He worked principally for the marchand mercier Dominique Daguerre, although he was also employed directly by ébénistes such as David Roentgen and Jean-Henri Riesener and collaborated on some pieces with the bronze caster Pierre Gouthière, helping him on some of his larger projects.
Rémond built up a successful business patronised by members of the French court, counting Marie-Antoinette, the Comte d'Artois, the Duc de Penthièvre and the Comte d'Adhémar amongst his principal patrons.
Condition: In excellent condition. General rubbing, marks, and scratches commensurate with age. less
- 19.5ʺW × 19.5ʺD × 33.0ʺL
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Free Shipping in the continental U.S.
- Free Local Pickup in Solana Beach, CA
BW Home in Solana Beach, CA
BW Home is located in the coastal town of Solana Beach, California. We take pride ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email email@example.com to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.