Mid-Century Modern Denmark Royal Copenhagen Glazed Tankard
This product is no longer available.
A rare piece of mid-century pottery produced in Denmark by Royal Copenhagen. This is a LARGE piece and is shown ...
moreA rare piece of mid-century pottery produced in Denmark by Royal Copenhagen. This is a LARGE piece and is shown with an 8 oz mug for comparison. A tankard or a display piece. Either is appropriate. The glaze is extremely tactile in shades running from blue both darker and lighter to purple. Green, white and yellow add to the artistic work.
The underside has a stamp reading LUNNING COLLECTION:
Excerpted from Ginger Moro’s “The Mystery Designers For Georg Jensen USA on the website for JCKonline (June 1, 1996): The post-war perspective of the Jensen New York store changed drastically in 1949 when Lunning hired a new manager, a Dane named Kai Dessau. What had become an unwieldy general store selling mostly American-made merchandise was transformed into a trade center for Nordic handicraft and decorative art. Lunning was excited by the high quality and elegance of what in the ’50s came to be called Scandinavian Modern, and decided to supply moral and financial support. His Lunning Prize, a traveling scholarship to be awarded each year to two outstanding young Nordic craftsmen or industrial designers, was first presented on his 70th birthday, Dec. 21, 1951. The $400 awards were funded by profits from the New York Jensen shop sales.
A: Alumina or aluminum oxide is a glaze made of silica, alumina and flux. Alumina is a refractory material that helps make the glaze's expansion and contraction aiding the glaze fit to the clay work.
3 wavy lines: Royal Copenhagen
453/3168: Decoration # / Form # (not a run number)
A 4 with a dot and the letter E for the designer.
3168 is repeated again impressed on the glaze along the rim.
The condition is beautiful with no crazing at all. Note the beautifully glazed medallion on the inside on the bottom. The only small flaw is a glaze chip shown in the photo, top to the side of the tankard by the handle. This piece weighs almost 3 lbs. less
- 8ʺW × 5.75ʺD × 7.75ʺH
- Royal Copenhagan
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
L. T. E. Interior Collections in Chevy Chase Md, MD
A curated collection for every mood and style. When designing a room buy what you ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.