18th Century American Dropleaf Table With Written Provenance
This beautiful and practical table comes with something special -- a written history. The table has descended in one family for ...
moreThis beautiful and practical table comes with something special -- a written history. The table has descended in one family for all of its 250+ years. It predates the American Revolution and is still completely usable today.
Crafted from mahogany in the Chippendale style, the table opens with the use of gatelegs to 46 " square for seating and closes to a narrow 18"W when not in use. The height is 27.5." The legs are particularly elegant, ending in ball and claw feet.
The note attached to the underside, typed out in 1981 by the then-owner, says:
"This Queen Ann (Chippendale) table was made in Massachusetts probably between 1750 and 1770. " It goes on to describe the descent of the table in the family and points out the damage caused when the author's grandmother ironed on it(!). It also states that there was restoration to the table in 1913, and speculates that it was made in or near the town of Gloucester.
The table has recently been very lightly restored again, to mitigate the damage from Granny's iron and to address a bit of other damage, without removing the character (which includes imperfections as shown in the photos) that has accrued to this wonderful table during its long life.
A perfect acquisition for an apartment or house that needs extra table space from time to time. When the leaves are down, the table makes an excellent console. less
- 46ʺW × 46ʺD × 27.5ʺH
- Mid 18th Century
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
Mrs. Darling Vintage in Walnut Creek, CA
Mrs. Darling Vintage is the creation of a California-based attorney and collector of vintage tableware ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 14Ask the Seller / View All
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.