19th Century Qing Dynasty Imperial Chinese Silk Framed Tapestry Panel
This 18th-19th Century Qing Dynasty Imperial Chinese silk embroidery tapestry exquisitely decorated with a smiley Foo Dog Dragon with a ...
moreThis 18th-19th Century Qing Dynasty Imperial Chinese silk embroidery tapestry exquisitely decorated with a smiley Foo Dog Dragon with a head gloriously looking up to the sun while he happily traipses through a field of flowers on a beautiful day. Aaaah. I know that feeling. It makes sense that the Chinese symbol for happiness hangs above this scene as this piece was meant to reside over a happy home and family bringing luck and prosperity by its presence. The tapestry's background color is in a deep asian greenish teal silk and the foreground embroidery with Orange, Delft Blue or cornflower blue, celadon green, Antique White, Cream, Burnt Umber or tan, Burnt Sienna, Chestnut Brown as the main colors. The piece is edge that surrounds the piece is in brown embroidered silk with antique whites and deeper blues in its design.
It is obvious the the piece was folded for quite some time before framing and shows the fold lines-- other than that the tapestry is in excelling shape as it has been under glass for a long time. There are no stains, holes, or tears and it doesn't appear to have much fading (although I would have had to see the piece when it was completed to know!) as the colors are still fantastic. This piece is museum worthy in every way.
That said the frame is old itself at least pre-dating 1940 but it is hard to say. It could be much older even 19th century. It is of a simple bamboo carved wood design with a black lacquer finish. While the tapestry is protected, the actual frame is highly distressed with much of the lacquer missing giving the frame a fantastic antique patina. The paper on the back of the frame was obviously removed revealing a cardboard backing securing the textile in place (I just leaned that cardboard was a 19th century invention so the frame could be that old). The cardboard is held in place by multiple nails. It also has a lot of criss- crossing copper wire going from side to side of the back -- also nailed into the frame. Someone a long time ago wanted to ensure this extremely special piece was secure. They did a great job.
What an amazing piece of textile art. My heart skipped a beat when I found it. I thought to myself : "This feeling of discovery such a special pieces is why I love the hunt for Treasures." Pure rush of Oxytocin. This Foo Dog needs a very special home that understands its place in the world and will care for it accordingly. As its current foster parent, I hope to find its next long term "family". Until then it lovingly hangs on my wall in my 18th Century Brownstone Parlor Floor apartment in a place of honor looking spectacular. No storage unit for this guy. I want to enjoy him while I can and I will be sad when he parts. Feel free to ask me questions below. And follow my page.
Artemis On Delos less
- 23.5ʺW × 1ʺD × 36ʺH
- Early 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- The frame has some paint missing but gives patina and can be restored. The tapestry is behind glass and probably ... moreThe frame has some paint missing but gives patina and can be restored. The tapestry is behind glass and probably has been since the early 20th Century, but it had been folded before being glasses and it does have fold marks. This adds to its authenticity. There is some light wear of the textile under the glass attesting to its age long before framing. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Artemis On Delos in New York, NY
I see amazing things everywhere. My style is eclectic -- from midcentury modern and hollywood regency ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 13Ask the Seller / View All
- Antique White Textile Art
- Art Deco Textile Art
- Asian Antique Textile Art
- Asian Textile Art
- Bamboo Textile Art
- Black Textile Art
- Blue Textile Art
- Brown Textile Art
- Ceramic Textile Art
- Chinese Textile Art
- Chinoiserie Textile Art
- Copper Textile Art
- Copper Textile Art
- Delft Textile Art
- Glass Textile Art
- Green Textile Art
- Hollywood Regency Textile Art
- Lacquer Textile Art
- Metal Textile Art
- Orange Textile Art
- Tan Textile Art
- Traditional Textile Art
- Turquoise Textile Art
- White Textile Art
- Wood Textile Art
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.