- Casegoods & Storage
- Wall-Mounted Shelving
- Antique 19th Century Brazilian Baroque Oratory ...
Antique 19th Century Brazilian Baroque Oratory Wood Altar Piece
This stunning antique baroque oratory or altar piece was handmade in Brazil in the 19th century. The oratorio, as it's ...
more This stunning antique baroque oratory or altar piece was handmade in Brazil in the 19th century. The oratorio, as it's called in Portuguese, was a small altar for private use in the home and would have had a carved wood religious statue in it, as shown.
The oratory consists of a large wooden box with hinged doors and a cut wood pediment on top. Below the main opening is a small shelf for offerings. The wood has remnants of paint, mostly green / turquoise and pink.
The archway in the front of the oratory, which frames the area for the statue, is cut in scallops and has some faint carving on it. The doors do not have metal hinges but rather swing out on notches that fit into the wood above and below. They work perfectly after all these years.
The oratory was purchased in Brazil in the 1980s and is probably from the Minas Gerais region, famed for its colorful baroque oratorios. It's in good condition for its age. The wood is worn but it's still very sturdy, and the remnants of paint give it a wonderful antique look. The pediment is attached with two wooden pegs, and it currently is loose and removable. I'm going to leave that so I can remove it for safe shipping, but you could glue or nail this down better if you wish (though it's just fine for sitting on a shelf). The back is equipped with two sturdy hooks if you want to hang this on a wall.
Please examine photos and let me know if you have any questions.
Size: Closed, the oratory is about 29 1/2 inches tall x 15 inches wide x 6 3/4 inches deep (75 x 38 x 17 cm). With the doors wide opened, it's 25 1/2 inches wide (64.8 cm). It can accommodate a statue up to 17 or 18 inches tall (43.2 to 45.8 cm).
Note that the santos statue pictured is not included, but you can find it in my shop. less
- 15.0ʺW × 6.75ʺD × 29.5ʺH
- Good Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $85
- Free Local Pickup in Kirkwood, MO
Callooh Callay Vintage in Kirkwood, MO
Callooh Callay offers an eclectic mix of vintage home decor, art pottery, Chinoiserie, industrial decor ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact email@example.com if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.