- Casegoods & Storage
- Wall-Mounted Shelving
- Antique 19th Century Brazilian Baroque Oratory ...
Antique 19th Century Brazilian Baroque Oratory Wood Altar Piece
This stunning antique baroque oratory or altar piece was handmade in Brazil in the 19th century. The oratorio, as it's ...
moreThis stunning antique baroque oratory or altar piece was handmade in Brazil in the 19th century. The oratorio, as it's called in Portuguese, was a small altar for private use in the home and would have had a carved wood religious statue in it, as shown.
The oratory consists of a large wooden box with hinged doors and a cut wood pediment on top. Below the main opening is a small shelf for offerings. The wood has remnants of paint, mostly green / turquoise and pink.
The archway in the front of the oratory, which frames the area for the statue, is cut in scallops and has some faint carving on it. The doors do not have metal hinges but rather swing out on notches that fit into the wood above and below. They work perfectly after all these years.
The oratory was purchased in Brazil in the 1980s and is probably from the Minas Gerais region, famed for its colorful baroque oratorios. It's in good condition for its age. The wood is worn but it's still very sturdy, and the remnants of paint give it a wonderful antique look. The pediment is attached with two wooden pegs, and it currently is loose and removable. I'm going to leave that so I can remove it for safe shipping, but you could glue or nail this down better if you wish (though it's just fine for sitting on a shelf). The back is equipped with two sturdy hooks if you want to hang this on a wall.
Please examine photos and let me know if you have any questions.
Size: Closed, the oratory is about 29 1/2 inches tall x 15 inches wide x 6 3/4 inches deep (75 x 38 x 17 cm). With the doors wide opened, it's 25 1/2 inches wide (64.8 cm). It can accommodate a statue up to 17 or 18 inches tall (43.2 to 45.8 cm).
Note that the santos statue pictured is not included, but you can find it in my shop. less
- 15ʺW × 6.75ʺD × 29.5ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, with worn paint, but still sturdy Good - Moderate wear and tear, with worn paint, but still sturdy less
Callooh Callay Vintage in Kirkwood, MO
Callooh Callay offers an eclectic mix of vintage home decor, art pottery, Chinoiserie, industrial decor ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Baroque Wall-Mounted Shelving
- Brown Wall-Mounted Shelving
- Corner Wall Shelves
- Decorative Wall Shelves
- Floating Wall Shelves
- Folk Art Wall-Mounted Shelving
- Green Wall-Mounted Shelving
- Hanging Wall Shelves
- Mediterranean Wall-Mounted Shelving
- Pink Wall-Mounted Shelving
- Primitive Wall-Mounted Shelving
- Rustic Wall-Mounted Shelving
- Small Wall Shelves
- Traditional Wall-Mounted Shelving
- Turquoise Wall-Mounted Shelving
- Wood Wall-Mounted Shelving
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.