Antique French Water Jug
Original antique gargoulotte from the Alsace-Lorraine region of France used to pull water from wells and store it. Over the ...
more Original antique gargoulotte from the Alsace-Lorraine region of France used to pull water from wells and store it. Over the years, many have been badly damaged or have lost lids, partially due to their utilitarian purpose, but this one is still intact. Very similar to French confit pots, these make a stunning display grouped together.
This jug is hand made from terra cotta clay, the spout and handles formed and attached by hand after the pot was thrown on a wheel. In traditional fashion, the pot is dipped from its base, first in a brown glaze, then mustard yellow.
There are no cracks, chips or scratches on the body of the piece, but there are chips around the lip and pretty much all the way around the edge of the lid. According to the customs documents that accompanied its import, it is dated to 1850. It measures 15 ½” high by 10” in diameter.
Very similar to French confit pots, these make a stunning display grouped with others or some confit friends on a coffee table, mantle or bookshelves. less
- 10.0ʺW × 10.0ʺD × 15.5ʺH
- Good Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $19
- Free Local Pickup in Paoli, PA
Camel & Grey in Paoli, PA
Devoted to the craft and provenance of textiles (and all beautiful things!), we believe that ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.