Rare Antique Narra Wood Dining Set
This product is no longer available.
Beautiful antique hand carved solid Narra Dining Set. Originally brought to the US by a decorated Viet-Cong General. We do ...
moreBeautiful antique hand carved solid Narra Dining Set. Originally brought to the US by a decorated Viet-Cong General. We do not have official documents to show who made the set or how old it is or how the former General acquired it. We do know the General immigrated to the US in the late 1970s and this set came with him. He lived in the Marin area, and his family sold the set to my grandfather in the 1990s for cash in an estate sale. Unfortunately my grandpa passed away last year and we have not found any records to retrace the table's history.
The set was my grandpa's pride and joy, every person I have seen who viewed the table for the first time had to spend a minute on a double-take. He was quite meticulous and protective in taking care of many of his wooden furniture pieces. Narra is the national tree of the Philippines. It is ILLEGAL to cut down Narra trees because it is an endangered species, but trees knocked down by storms can be used. After scouring Chairish, I have yet to find a similar set or any significant Narra pieces making a set like this quite rare in the US.
The set was completely reupholstered last year, including the cushions that had disintegrated into dust. High density foam and new fabric was used along with the original wood frame and springs. To prepare for sale, the set was hand cleaned because of all the intricate carvings and tiny crevices that could only be accessed with cue-tips and toothbrush. The wood was then treated with finish and thoroughly inspected with every possible spot or mark corrected. We are looking for a home that will appreciate all the work gone into this set.
The table has a carved face, as well as carved edging to go with fascia and legs. The chairs are carved on front and back along. There are a few beauty marks on the table, which we presume happened during the trip across the Pacific, that were filled in with some kind of glue or wood filler. Fortunately, these blemishes are not found in the most prominent regions and do not degrade the aesthetic appeal. We feel they add to the character and history of the set, and can be seen in the pictures. Narra is quite hard, and makes certain repair more risky so we have left them alone for now since they blend into the table. Table comes with a 1/2 inch fitted glass surface
We would prefer local pickup or delivery. Willing to consider farther delivery on case by case (negotiable) basis. less
- 74.5ʺW × 39.5ʺD × 30.5ʺH
- Asian Antique
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Restored, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
- Seat Height
- 49.0 inches
- Seat Interior Depth
- 20.0 inches
- Seat Interior Width
- 18.0 inches
- Table Base
- Table Shape
- Table Knee Clearance
- 26.0 inches
- Table Leaf Width
- 39.5 inches
- Number of Leaves
Trevor T. in Novato, CA
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 2Ask the Seller / View All
- 3 Piece Dining Sets
- 5 Piece Dining Sets
- 7 Piece Dining Sets
- 9 Piece Dining Sets
- Asian Antique Dining Sets
- Asian Dining Sets
- Brown Dining Sets
- Fabric Dining Sets
- Farmhouse Dining Sets
- Glass Dining Sets
- Nook Dining Sets
- Outdoor Dining Sets
- Retro Dining Sets
- San Francisco Dining Sets
- Small Dining Sets
- White Dining Sets
- Wood Dining Sets
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.