Rare Antique Narra Wood Dining Set
Beautiful antique hand carved solid Narra Dining Set. Originally brought to the US by a decorated Viet-Cong General. We do ...
more Beautiful antique hand carved solid Narra Dining Set. Originally brought to the US by a decorated Viet-Cong General. We do not have official documents to show who made the set or how old it is or how the former General acquired it. We do know the General immigrated to the US in the late 1970s and this set came with him. He lived in the Marin area, and his family sold the set to my grandfather in the 1990s for cash in an estate sale. Unfortunately my grandpa passed away last year and we have not found any records to retrace the table's history.
The set was my grandpa's pride and joy, every person I have seen who viewed the table for the first time had to spend a minute on a double-take. He was quite meticulous and protective in taking care of many of his wooden furniture pieces. Narra is the national tree of the Philippines. It is ILLEGAL to cut down Narra trees because it is an endangered species, but trees knocked down by storms can be used. After scouring Chairish, I have yet to find a similar set or any significant Narra pieces making a set like this quite rare in the US.
The set was completely reupholstered last year, including the cushions that had disintegrated into dust. High density foam and new fabric was used along with the original wood frame and springs. To prepare for sale, the set was hand cleaned because of all the intricate carvings and tiny crevices that could only be accessed with cue-tips and toothbrush. The wood was then treated with finish and thoroughly inspected with every possible spot or mark corrected. We are looking for a home that will appreciate all the work gone into this set.
The table has a carved face, as well as carved edging to go with fascia and legs. The chairs are carved on front and back along. There are a few beauty marks on the table, which we presume happened during the trip across the Pacific, that were filled in with some kind of glue or wood filler. Fortunately, these blemishes are not found in the most prominent regions and do not degrade the aesthetic appeal. We feel they add to the character and history of the set, and can be seen in the pictures. Narra is quite hard, and makes certain repair more risky so we have left them alone for now since they blend into the table. Table comes with a 1/2 inch fitted glass surface
We would prefer local pickup or delivery. Will have to negotiate for delivery farther than 100 miles, $500 is just a random number since I had to list something. Could cost more or less on case-by-case basis depending on distance. Any shipment going out of California or more than 100 miles from 94949 will likely cost at least a few hundred, international or overseas at least a thousand or more and needs to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. less
- 74.5ʺW × 39.5ʺD × 30.5ʺH
- Asian Antique
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Estimated White Glove Shipping - $1,209
- Free Local Pickup in Novato, CA
- Free Local Delivery Curbside Delivery within 100 miles of 94949. 20837 does not qualify.
Trevor T. in Novato, CA
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 2Ask the Seller / View All
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email email@example.com to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.