- Room Accents & Accessories
- Models & Figurines
- François-Joseph Duret “Improvisateur” Bronze Sc...
François-Joseph Duret “Improvisateur” Bronze Sculpture
A delightful work by François-Joseph Duret titled "the Wine Harvester's Comic Improvisation” and sometimes simply titled “Improvisateur” on later models ...
more A delightful work by François-Joseph Duret titled "the Wine Harvester's Comic Improvisation” and sometimes simply titled “Improvisateur” on later models, this work was executed by the primary foundry working with Duret throughout his career. The back proper left corner retains the stamp A.D. for the foundry of Auguste Delafontaine, specifically being the most important indicator for this sculpture of having been cast during Duret’s lifetime, or at least very shortly thereafter and with original molds. This model was exhibited at Salon in 1839 and a reduction of it was acquired by the Louvre in 1858 for their permanent collection, that model also executed by the Delafontaine foundry. The sculpture depicts a singing bacchant standing beside a barrel overflowing with grapes from a bountiful harvest, his jovial expression full of life while entertaining onlookers. It is notable for it’s precise casting, exquisite detailing and very good acid patina, the whole being silky and glowing beautifully. This exquisite piece is fun and interesting - the earnestness of the performer makes a statement, his whole body moving in anticipation of the song and in concert with his audience. It is a most striking sculpture and is of self-evident excellence.
The Founders and Editors of the Barye Bronzes, J.G. Reinis, p. 85-89 (discussion of Auguste Delafontaine’s foundry marks and the history of his foundry).
Measurements: 17 1/4” H x 7 1/2” W x 7” D, base 5 5/8” in depth and width
Very minor patina wear. Some grime in crevices of grapes, etc. Light verdigris around edges of square base. Overall exceptional condition. Please scroll down to view all detailed images of this piece. less
- 7.5ʺW × 7.0ʺD × 17.25ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $49
- Free Local Pickup in Shippensburg, PA
SILLA, LTD. "Fine Antiques, Art and Sculpture" in Shippensburg, PA
Silla, Ltd. is situated deep in the Cumberland Valley among the rolling hills and farms ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact email@example.com if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.