Jerry Pinkney "Jackie Robinson" Watercolor Painting
An original watercolor of Jackie Robinson by the very well-known and collectible artist Jerry Pinkney. Pinkney created the US postage ...
moreAn original watercolor of Jackie Robinson by the very well-known and collectible artist Jerry Pinkney. Pinkney created the US postage stamp of Jackie Robinson in 1982. This painting was possibly used as an illustration for a book. Pinkney doesn’t do sports related illustrations anymore mostly children's books. This by itself makes this piece rare and sought after by collectors of sports memorabilia.
The watercolor measures 18 x 15 inches and is in mint condition.
It was purchased from the Society of Illustrators in New York.
signed right side of leg.
Pinkney was born in the Germantown section of Philadelphia in 1939, and began drawing at the age of four. As a child, he had great difficulty with dyslexia in elementary school. However, his love of and talent for drawing was useful in elevating his self-esteem and gaining the attention of his teachers and classmates. In junior high school his work was noticed by cartoonist John Liney, who encouraged him to pursue the career of an artist.
Pinkney concentrated on commercial art at the Dobbins Vocational School as a teen, and was granted a full scholarship to the Philadelphia Museum College of Art, (now University of the Arts) where he met his wife Gloria. Upon graduation, he held a variety of positions in the field of design and illustration, including as a greeting card designer. Eventually he founded Kaleidoscope Studios with fellow artists, and two years later he opened his own Jerry Pinkney Studio and focused on illustrating children’s books.
Pinkney’s illustrative work often incorporates African American motifs. His works include Patricia C. McKissack‘s Goin’ Someplace Special, a story of segregation in mid-century South.ssion to further public knowledge and appreciation for the art of illustration.”
Pinkney was thrilled to learn that I had received two lifetime achievement awards for my work. The first is the 2016 Laura Ingalls Wilder Award, for making “a substantial and lasting contribution to literature for children.” The second is the Coretta Scott King-Virginia Hamilton Award for Lifetime Achievement, recognizing books that “explore cultural experiences and ethnic identity” with “insight, skill and distinctive style.” Quite an honor!
He was named the Norman Rockwell Museum’s Artist Laureate, an award “bestowed to noted contemporary practitioners for their accomplishments in the field, and dedication to the Museum’s mission. less
- 15ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 18ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Perry Meyer - Meyer Fine Art, Inc. in San Diego, CA
Perry Meyer, with his 36 years of expertise in art, specializing in 19th – 21st century ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.