Jerry Pinkney "Jackie Robinson" Watercolor Painting
An original watercolor of Jackie Robinson by the very well-known and collectible artist Jerry Pinkney. Pinkney created the US postage ...
more An original watercolor of Jackie Robinson by the very well-known and collectible artist Jerry Pinkney. Pinkney created the US postage stamp of Jackie Robinson in 1982. This painting was possibly used as an illustration for a book. Pinkney doesn’t do sports related illustrations anymore mostly children's books. This by itself makes this piece rare and sought after by collectors of sports memorabilia.
The watercolor measures 18 x 15 inches and is in mint condition.
It was purchased from the Society of Illustrators in New York.
signed right side of leg.
Pinkney was born in the Germantown section of Philadelphia in 1939, and began drawing at the age of four. As a child, he had great difficulty with dyslexia in elementary school. However, his love of and talent for drawing was useful in elevating his self-esteem and gaining the attention of his teachers and classmates. In junior high school his work was noticed by cartoonist John Liney, who encouraged him to pursue the career of an artist.
Pinkney concentrated on commercial art at the Dobbins Vocational School as a teen, and was granted a full scholarship to the Philadelphia Museum College of Art, (now University of the Arts) where he met his wife Gloria. Upon graduation, he held a variety of positions in the field of design and illustration, including as a greeting card designer. Eventually he founded Kaleidoscope Studios with fellow artists, and two years later he opened his own Jerry Pinkney Studio and focused on illustrating children’s books.
Pinkney’s illustrative work often incorporates African American motifs. His works include Patricia C. McKissack‘s Goin’ Someplace Special, a story of segregation in mid-century South.ssion to further public knowledge and appreciation for the art of illustration.”
Pinkney was thrilled to learn that I had received two lifetime achievement awards for my work. The first is the 2016 Laura Ingalls Wilder Award, for making “a substantial and lasting contribution to literature for children.” The second is the Coretta Scott King-Virginia Hamilton Award for Lifetime Achievement, recognizing books that “explore cultural experiences and ethnic identity” with “insight, skill and distinctive style.” Quite an honor!
He was named the Norman Rockwell Museum’s Artist Laureate, an award “bestowed to noted contemporary practitioners for their accomplishments in the field, and dedication to the Museum’s mission. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $75
- Free Local Pickup in San Diego, CA
Perry Meyer - Meyer Fine Art, Inc. in San Diego, CA
Perry Meyer, with his 36 years of expertise in art, specializing in 19th – 21st century ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email email@example.com to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.