1958 French Loterie Nationale Poster Grand Prix Jockey and Carousel by Piem
This product is no longer available.
France's Loterie Nationale (National Lottery) was established May 31, 1933. By November that same year, the first drawing of numbers ...
moreFrance's Loterie Nationale (National Lottery) was established May 31, 1933. By November that same year, the first drawing of numbers for a prize took place. Since then, weekly draws were supported by extensive advertising campaigns, with a poster appearing for each draw. Many well-known artists were commissioned to design those ads, including René Vincent, Jean Effel, Pol Ferjac, and Derouet et Lesacq.
This particular poster, created for the draw taking place on Saturday June 28 1958, was designed by Piem. His work was used by the Loterie Nationale numerous times throughout the early 1960s, but this poster is particularly interesting because of its reference to horse racing. As of 1952, the French lottery faced tough competition from the PMU (horse races), something the artist is blatantly referring to here while advertizing that the biggest prize in Paris (Grand-Prix de Paris) can be won through playing the lottery - not by betting on childish jockeys (the one seen here is mistaking a merry-go-round for a real horse - amateur!).
Vintage lithographic poster has been recently linen-backed and with its strong periwinkle blue and warm yellow, would look amazing when framed! less
- 15.25ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 23.5ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
L'Affichiste in Stowe, VT
Karen Etingin opened her Montreal gallery, L'Affichiste, ten years ago after deciding to turn ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Advertisement Posters
- Band Posters
- Blue Posters
- Circus Posters
- Classroom Posters
- Concert Posters
- French Posters
- Linen Posters
- Mid-Century Modern Posters
- Movie Posters
- Music Posters
- Pink Posters
- Psychedelic Posters
- Purple Posters
- Raspberry Pink Posters
- Retro Posters
- Rock Posters
- Safety Posters
- Science Posters
- Shabby Chic Posters
- Travel Posters
- Yellow Posters
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.