Chinese Ancestor Painting of a High Ranking Gentleman
Large painting of a high ranking gentleman from Guangzhou, southern China in very fine silk robes, trimmed with most likely ...
moreLarge painting of a high ranking gentleman from Guangzhou, southern China in very fine silk robes, trimmed with most likely ermine. A long string of large pearls with jade rest over his gown. He is seated upon a black wood throne style chair inset with grey and white marble, a red and gold throw draped over the back of the chair which is on a richly coloured floral carpet. The black gown, cuffs, and rank badge are colorful and skillfully embroidered, with phoenix and dragons - denoting this mans high status, as does the sheer size of the painting, and everything about it. A wonderful historical 'document'. A very fine example of a ancestor portrait. Nondescript beige background.
**We have a matching portrait that could possibly be the Matriarch of the family - both came from the same estate.
Wear as expected. Please note the glass reflections. Glass has also 'muted' the strength of the colours a little.
Presented by East2West Furniture.
And by sheer coincidence, we have a very similar 'hat' listed on Chairish - The Emporer's Red Hat - by Bob Kopec that is for sale.
The Chinese have a deep and respectful connection with their ancestors.
Ancestral paintings were specifically used for worship. They nearly always depicted the subjects in a live-size frontal pose, on a throne like seat with a rich carpet at their feet.
Semi-formal gowns with insignia proclaimed their rank or status in society. The only differences were gender-related. Women’s feet (considered the most erotic part of the female body) were always hidden and some times the hands.
The most important part of the portrait was the face. The expression is nearly always somber and detached.
Ancestor portraits came into fashion during the late-Ming (1368-1644) dynasty. Before the fall of the Qing dynasty in 1911 they were rarely available for purchase and remained in the hands of family members, obscure and forgotten, replaced by modern day photography.
Now they are recognized as a unique Chinese art form, sought after by collectors and appreciated by audiences greater than any ancestor might have imagined. less
- 31.5ʺW × 1ʺD × 56.5ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Place of Origin
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
East2West Furniture in St Petersburg, FL
- Super Seller 2018
Here in Florida, we specialise in items from the Far East/Asia and Europe and ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Miniature Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- Chinoiserie Paintings
- Asian Paintings
- Chinese Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Nude Paintings
- Sunflower Paintings
- Tampa Paintings
- Gray Paintings
- White Paintings
- Tan Paintings
- Blue Paintings
- Surrealist Paintings
- Cat Paintings
- Landscape Paintings
- Beach Paintings
- Flower Paintings
- 3D Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- Red Paintings
- Still Life Paintings
- Green Paintings
- Black Paintings
- Color Field Paintings
- Wood Paintings
- Sunset Paintings
- Action Paintings
- Gold Paintings
- Cherry Blossom Paintings
- Dot Paintings
- Greek Paintings
- Tree Paintings
- Car Paintings
- Orange Paintings
- Forest Paintings
- Genre Paintings
- Asian Antique Paintings
- Classic Paintings
- Face Paintings
- Famous Paintings
- Glass Paintings
- Rock Paintings
- House Paintings
- Moon Paintings
- Beige Paintings
- Jade Paintings
- Paper Paintings
- Portraiture Paintings
- Qing Paintings
- Venus Paintings
- Watercolor Paintings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.