Mola Box Cushion
This cushion is crafted of authentic vintage molas made by the women of the Kuna Indian tribe of Panama.
The ... moreThis cushion is crafted of authentic vintage molas made by the women of the Kuna Indian tribe of Panama.
The Kuna indians live on the San blas archipelago of roughly 400 islands on the eastern coast of Panama. Each inhabited island is home to a different tribe; all told the Kunas number about 50,000. Kuna culture is matriarchal, and the women are always heavily adorned from head to toe.
The mola is worn as a decorative adornment over a traditional blouse. There are two panels, front and back, each are related in theme. A pair of molas require many careful hours of planning, cutting and sewing. Molas have evolved from the traditional body painting dating back many hundreds of years. When the missionaries demanded the people wear clothing, the women simply interpreted their body painting into fabric.
The mola is approximately 16 x 13 inches in size. It is made up of anywhere from two to eight layers of cloth intricately cut, layered and often embroidered. The oldest designs tend to be geometric, evocative of the body painting styles, while more modern designs encompass a wide range of subject matter; plants, animals, religion, even packaging designs or designs interpreted from pages torn from magazines.
This pillow is backed by a complimentary green linen/viscose blend and is filled with a down and feather stuffing.
The vintage molas were hand-crafted in Panama and the cushions are conceived in our workshop in Costa Rica. less
- 15ʺW × 4ʺD × 11ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Studio C in Baton Rouge, LA
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.