18th Century Chippendale Period Mahogany Side Chairs - a Pair
An exceptional presentation pair, these were crafted in the Gothic taste at the height of the Chippendale period. The pierced ...
more An exceptional presentation pair, these were crafted in the Gothic taste at the height of the Chippendale period. The pierced splat backs are unusually angular, the long molded outer verticals curving only slightly as they raise acanthus carved returns under the oxbow crest rail. The inner splat structure steps down from three voids to two lower voids, each with a scalloped cresting, the inverse of which is employed centermost as a most effective strike point at a nearly exact halfway point. The bold trapezoidal seats are stuffed over the rail, the surface with a slight backward slant that lends comfort to the sitter. Angular and powerful marlborough legs with a fine molded profile on the outward facing sides terminate in large squared feet. The box stretcher is tenoned into the legs on the sides and back, the medial stretcher bar dovetailed into the sides from beneath in the traditional method. Most attractive is the old beautiful patina preserved in the surfaces throughout - this complex worn surface shows hints of nearly black finish in the recesses while being rubbed to a near ruby hue in the raised portions. Precisely carved and of a very fine form and profile, this is a most fine acquisition for the serious collector of English furnishings.
Measurements: 22 3/4” W x approx. 19 1/2” D x 37” H, 18 1/4” H to seat
Upholstery in "fair" condition with some blemish/stains. Old cracks in splats and minor joint separations. Very sturdy and strong throughout, comfortable and heavy craftsmanship. Very early surface with fine patina throughout; age appropriate wear, scuffs, etc. as expected. An outstanding overall condition. less
- 22.75ʺW × 19.5ʺD × 37.0ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Estimated White Glove Shipping - $319
- Free Local Pickup in Shippensburg, PA
- Ask the seller if Local Delivery is available
SILLA, LTD. "Fine Antiques, Art and Sculpture" in Shippensburg, PA
Silla, Ltd. is located in the historic downtown of Shippensburg, PA. Our collection focuses on ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Accent Chairs for Living Room
- Accent Chairs with Arms
- Animal Print Accent Chairs
- Armless Accent Chairs
- Bedroom Accent Chairs
- Black and White Accent Chairs
- Blue and White Accent Chairs
- Brown Side Chairs
- Chippendale Side Chairs
- Cow Hide Accent Chairs
- English Traditional Side Chairs
- Floral Accent Chairs
- High Back Accent Chairs
- Mahogany Side Chairs
- Paris Accent Chairs
- Patterned Accent Chairs
- Reclining Accent Chairs
- Round Accent Chairs
- Small Accent Chairs
- Striped Accent Chairs
- Studded Accent Chairs
- Swivel Accent Chairs
- Tufted Accent Chairs
- Unique Accent Chairs
- Upholstered Accent Chairs
- Vintage Accent Chairs
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.