Vintage Southeast Asian Cabinet/Armoire
This remarkable antique Chinese teak armoire / cabinet with exquisitely carved horses creates a grand style statement, and you will love ...
more This remarkable antique Chinese teak armoire / cabinet with exquisitely carved horses creates a grand style statement, and you will love the sophistication it adds to your home decor.
Express a distinct style and taste with this gorgeous piece that is in a class of its own, possessing all the impact and majesty you would hope for from the finest examples money can buy. It was hand built by artisans using traditional Chinese woodworking techniques. The exceptional construction and superb hand-carved decorations add to the visual intrigue of this enticing cabinet.
Its definition, structure and overall finish exemplify exclusive craftsmanship not often encountered, and it is even more stunning in person.
This piece is unique in its structural integrity and its perfect functionality, exhibiting blending of creative style balanced with careful proportion and scale. Not only does this majestic cabinet possess the aesthetic to die for; it is also an outstandingly versatile and practical choice, providing all the functionality and storage capacity you may need. It is meant to function within the realities of day-to-day living while allowing you to create a space that best amplifies your personal style.
Such exquisite antique Chinese pieces are highly sought after and are becoming exceedingly rare. This cabinet will comfortably meet the requirements of any discernible collector; it is also ideal for a savvy decorator looking an exquisite, timeless quality piece of huge character to position in the heart of their home. Its definition, structure, and beautiful aged patina exemplify the unique craftsmanship available from Asia and make a wonderful addition to any room in the house.
This hand-crafted armoire is sure to last for many decades to come, so it is every bit an investment as much as it is an exquisite museum-quality piece. It will become a treasured heirloom item for your family for future generations.
The architecture of a traditional Chinese home made no allowances for built-in closets. Closets are a Western innovation, and are still a rarity in Chinese societies from Hong Kong to Taipei to Beijing. Also, the Western concept of an armoire or a wardrobe cabinet did not exist in the Ming Dynasty China, as the Chinese would never hang clothes vertically inside a cupboard. Instead clothes and bed linens were laid flat inside a chest or cabinet, or hung on wooden racks. Dynastic robes were folded and stacked horizontally, rather than vertically on hangers.
The Chinese made cabinets in many varieties because they wanted and valued versatility, so cabinets became the primary storage facilities within a household. Large cabinets were used to store just about anything the master or mistress of a household wanted to keep secure and out of sight. Westerners have kept pace with this Chinese notion of versatility by using cabinets as entertainment centers.
Precious objects such as a porcelain vase or a root wood brush pot might be stored in a cabinet when not on display or being used. Cabinets were also used in the study to store books and writing implements, and in the kitchen for food and cooking utensils. Similarly, paintings were rolled up for storage in cabinets. These cabinets were usually located in the women's quarters or in reception rooms where official robes were kept. Such cabinets remain eminently functional and are much admired and sought after for their elegant shapes and ornamentation. The best examples combine the natural beauty of the wood grain with the design and degree of ornamentation.
Offered in very good vintage condition, especially considering its age and rarity. stands sturdy and secure; the quality and craftsmanship speak volumes. Minor signs of considerate use consistent with the normal, residential employment it has seen. The pictures are of the actual item you are purchasing, so please look at them closely to confirm its genuine, original condition and outstanding appearance, as they are part of the description. Comes from a clean, non-smoking, pet-free home. This rare piece represents spectacular value for money, and we have no doubt it will serve and delight its new owner for many years to come
Free local pick up by prior appointment on most Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10am to 2pm, or we can ship the item at your request. Please be courteous and ask for shipping charges before the purchase. We will not cancel the sale once you buy an item if you think shipping charges are too high.
We always describe our items to the best of our knowledge, including any substantial flaws and imperfections. However, condition assessment can be a subjective matter, and we can overlook something. Please remember that most of our items have been used, and it is common for antique and vintage items to show some wear and imperfections they have acquired over the years. This adds to their charm and character and authenticates their history, making them more desirable and collectible. You must be your own judge when deciding on the condition, and it is buyer’s responsibility to verify the condition before the purchase. You are encouraged to ask detailed questions concerning the item before your purchase. Please note that this item, like all our other items, is sold SOLD AS IS, in found condition. No refunds offered, no exceptions, unless the item was grossly misrepresented, in which case full refund will be given, minus the shipping cost.
All items must be paid for in full within 72 hours. Merchandise not picked up after 10 days from the date of purchase will be subject to daily storage fees, no exceptions, unless prior arrangements have been made. Items not picked up 30 days from the date of purchase will be considered “abandoned goods.” We are a small business and cannot afford storage fees.
As always, if you have any questions, please ask!
For more exciting treasures please visit our store. less
- 58.0ʺW × 23.5ʺD × 78.0ʺH
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Estimated White Glove Shipping - $549
- Free Local Pickup in Maplewood, NJ
- Ask the seller if Local Delivery is available
Treasure Island Interiors LLC in Maplewood, NJ
TREASURE ISLAND INTERIORS ~ Timeless Treasures of Household Elegance ~ Offering exclusive selection of antique to modern ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 6Ask the Seller / View All
- Armoires with Drawers
- Brown Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- Chinese Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- Clothing Armoires
- Corner Armoires
- Linen Armoires
- Media Armoires
- Mirrored Armoires
- New York Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- Oak Armoires
- Painted Armoires
- Pine Armoires
- Rustic Armoires
- Storage Armoires
- TV Armoires
- Tall Armoires
- Wardrobe Armoires
- Wood Armoires
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.