Vintage Asian Chinoiserie Cabinet
This stunning Chinoiserie decorated two-door armoire creates a grand style statement, and you will love the sophistication it adds to ...
more This stunning Chinoiserie decorated two-door armoire creates a grand style statement, and you will love the sophistication it adds to your home decor. Featuring two doors, three large drawers, lighted and mirrored interior (mirrors removed for pictures). Exquisite painted and three dimensional (raised) decorations throughout.
Express a distinct style and taste with this gorgeous piece that is in a class of its own, possessing all the impact and majesty you would hope for from the finest examples money can buy. The exceptional construction and superb hand-painted decorations add to the visual intrigue of this enticing cabinet, even more stunning in person. It was hand built by artisans using traditional Chinese woodworking, lacquer ware and painting techniques. Its definition, structure and overall finish exemplify the unique craftsmanship available from Asia and make a wonderful addition to any room in the house.
This piece is unique in its structural integrity and its perfect functionality, exhibiting blending of creative style balanced with careful proportion and scale. Not only does this magnificent oversized cabinet possess the aesthetic to die for; it is also an outstandingly versatile and practical choice, providing all the functionality and storage capacity you may need. It is meant to function within the realities of day-to-day living while allowing you to create a space that best amplifies your personal style.
The architecture of a traditional Chinese home made no allowances for built-in closets. Closets are a Western innovation, and are still a rarity in Chinese societies from Hong Kong to Taipei to Beijing. Also, the Western concept of an armoire or a wardrobe cabinet did not exist in the Ming Dynasty China, as the Chinese would never hang clothes vertically inside a cupboard. Instead clothes and bed linens were laid flat inside a chest or cabinet, or hung on wooden racks. Dynastic robes were folded and stacked horizontally, rather than vertically on hangers.
The Chinese made cabinets in many varieties because they wanted and valued versatility, so cabinets became the primary storage facilities within a household. Large cabinets were used to store just about anything the master or mistress of a household wanted to keep secure and out of sight. Westerners have kept pace with this Chinese notion of versatility by using cabinets as entertainment centers.
Precious objects such as a porcelain vase or a root wood brush pot might be stored in a cabinet when not on display or being used. Cabinets were also used in the study to store books and writing implements, and in the kitchen for food and cooking utensils. Similarly, paintings were rolled up for storage in cabinets. These cabinets were usually located in the women's quarters or in reception rooms where official robes were kept. Such cabinets remain eminently functional and are much admired and sought after for their elegant shapes and ornamentation. The best examples combine the natural beauty of the wood grain with the design and degree of ornamentation.
Offered in very good vintage condition; minor signs of light, considerate use consistent with the normal, residential employment it has seen. A couple of scratches, a chip on one of the feet, but nothing that detracts hugely from the beauty or functionality of the piece. The pictures are of the actual item you are purchasing, so please look at them closely to confirm its condition and outstanding appearance, as they are part of the description. Comes from a clean, non-smoking, pet-free home. This rare piece represents spectacular value for money, and we have no doubt it will serve and delight its new owner for many years to come.
We always describe our items to the best of our knowledge, including any substantial flaws and imperfections. However, condition assessment can be a subjective matter, and we can overlook something. Please remember that most of our items have been used, and it is common for antique and vintage items to show some wear and imperfections they have acquired over the years. This adds to their charm and character and authenticates their history, making them more desirable and collectible. You must be your own judge when deciding on the condition, and it is buyer’s responsibility to verify the condition before the purchase. You are encouraged to ask detailed questions concerning the item before your purchase. Please note that this item, like all our other items, is sold SOLD AS IS, in found condition. It is buyer’s responsibility to verify the condition before purchase. less
- 48ʺW × 24ʺD × 79ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
Treasure Island Interiors LLC in Maplewood, NJ
TREASURE ISLAND INTERIORS ~ Timeless Treasures of Household Elegance ~ Offering exclusive selection of antique to modern ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Armoires with Drawers
- Asian Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- Black Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- Chinese Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- Chinoiserie Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- Clothing Armoires
- Corner Armoires
- Linen Armoires
- Media Armoires
- Ming Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- Mirrored Armoires
- New York Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- Oak Armoires
- Painted Armoires
- Pine Armoires
- Red Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- Rustic Armoires
- Storage Armoires
- TV Armoires
- Tall Armoires
- Traditional Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- Wardrobe Armoires
- Wood Armoires
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.