Howard Foote, 1959 San Francisco Abstract Expressionist Print
Fantastic print by San Francisco artist Howard Foote, dated 1959. This is a multiple color stone lithograph printed by the ...
more Fantastic print by San Francisco artist Howard Foote, dated 1959. This is a multiple color stone lithograph printed by the artist at the San Francisco Art Institute, where he was then a student. The image is about 19.5 x 14 inches, and the paper is 24.5 x 16.5 inches. The print is edition 4/14. It has never been framed.
We love the bright colors, and the odd shape - the artist inked the image to the edge of the stone, which in this case was missing part of a corner! The practice is typical of San Francisco Abstract Expressionists. The image is an abstract -- but note the hint of a figure taking form in the lower half.
Howard Foote (b. 1936) studied at the San Francisco Art Institute, during the glory days of the San Francisco School of Abstract Expressionism. In 1959-1961, Foote and 2 artist friends ran the Russian Hill Gallery, one of several artist-run co-op galleries in the Fillmore/Union Street area that played a major role in the San Francisco Art Scene in the Beat era. Foote also showed at Spatsa Gallery, Green Gallery, and likely some of the others. The artist continues to live and work in the Bay Area.
A great print and a great piece of San Francisco art history! less
- 14.0ʺW × 1.0ʺD × 19.5ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $20
- Free Local Pickup in Berkeley, CA
SF Bay Area Modern in Berkeley, CA
Quality artworks by notable Modern and Midcentury artists at reasonable prices. Many items are from ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.