Paul Eugéne Mengin Bronze Sculpture
Paul Eugéne Mengin studied under Dumont and Millet and first began exhibiting at Salon in 1873, receiving honourable mention in ...
more Paul Eugéne Mengin studied under Dumont and Millet and first began exhibiting at Salon in 1873, receiving honourable mention in 1877 and third-class in 185, a travel scholarship in 1875 and bronze medal at the Exposition Universelle in 1900. A large body of his work was produced by the Susse Freres foundry, the present example included. Generally titled as “Mignon” or “La Femme a la Mandoline”, the large and impressive sculpture captures a young seated female Mignon in her flowing garment with a mandolin grasped loosely against her bent knee. She rests on a rocky outcrop upon which roots and foliage are impressionistically growing around all sides, the back of the naturalistic base impressed with the Susse Freres seal and the edge with his signature. Her features are gorgeous, the finely chiseled facial details revealing a tired expression of a young woman in need of a moment’s rest. The surfaces of the skin are perfectly smooth and cast with excellence. The gilded patina is a complex finish with a wonderful variation from browns and darkened bronze hues to burnished bronze and gold accents. A most moving work that is large without dominating a setting, it is a deep and emotional work of art emphasized by technical precision in the casting. A very fine acquisition for serious collectors of fine Romantic period French sculpture.
Original gilded patina, light surface wear/discoloration and patina loss. Some dust in crevices. Excellent presentation ready condition. Marble beneath sculpture is added and can easily be removed.
Literature and References:
"Bronzes of the Nineteenth Century, Dictionary of Artists”, Kjellberg, p. 487
"E. Benezit Dictionary of Artists, Vol IX", Gründ, p. 766 [noting auction records of 29,000 DKK, 2,600 GBP, 13,500 DKK and 22,000 DKK for four editions of this sculpture]
Dallas Auction Gallery, January 3rd 2008, lot 157, 29” H w/ brown patination, achieved $5,500 plus 22.5% premium less
- 11.0ʺW × 9.25ʺD × 21.5ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $59
- Free Local Pickup in Shippensburg, PA
SILLA, LTD. "Fine Antiques, Art and Sculpture" in Shippensburg, PA
Silla, Ltd. is situated deep in the Cumberland Valley among the rolling hills and farms ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact email@example.com if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.