Traditional J.E. Caldwell Mantel Clock With Bronze Sculpture of a Cartographer
This product is no longer available.
This fine mantel clock was retailed by J.E. Caldwell of Philadelphia at the turn of the century, the powerful ...
more This fine mantel clock was retailed by J.E. Caldwell of Philadelphia at the turn of the century, the powerful and angular case crafted of pure black slate with red stone inlays and rouge marble panels around the middle. Ormolu ram’s head mounts project from either corner flanking the circular bronze ring holding the original glass for the door, this opening to allow easy winding of the clock. The Roman numerals outlining the hours are in white enamel over the black slate with a minute ring along the outer edges. But most attractive is the fine bronze sculpture that is mounted on the top of the case. A Greco-Roman classical figure of a young woman seated on a klismo legged bench, dressed in a flowing toga with sandaled feet peeking out from the edges, she looks off into the distance in a moment of preponderance, her hand tucked under her chin with a pair of calipers while her other hand grasps the blank globe with it’s incised zones ready for her mapping to begin. The quality of detailing on the surface is admirable, crisply chiseled and of exceptional realism - her eyes, nose, fingers, toes and every aspect of the complex garment are just beautifully executed. It retains an original translucent brown and black patina sealed with beeswax.
Some loss to white-enamel Roman numerals and fading to gilt lettering on dial. Some discoloration to gilt mounts. Minor little chips to slate in a few places. Original patina with only minor handling wear. Movement does not have it’s pendulum and has not been tested for functionality. less
- 17.75ʺW × 8.0ʺD × 19.0ʺH
- Good Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $59
- Free Local Pickup in Shippensburg, PA
SILLA, LTD. "Fine Antiques, Art and Sculpture" in Shippensburg, PA
Silla, Ltd. is located in the historic downtown of Shippensburg, PA. Our collection focuses on ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- Local Delivery
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.