French Art Nouveau Cucumber Glaze Urn With Sterling Rim and Handles Attributed to Eugene Baudin
This product is no longer available.
The pottery is classic Art Nouveau/Arts & Crafts art pottery, most likely French or Belgian from the late 1800s ...
moreThe pottery is classic Art Nouveau/Arts & Crafts art pottery, most likely French or Belgian from the late 1800s to early 1900s. A spectacular organic semi-matte crackled drip glaze of green interacting with aqua blue and with additional purples and ochers. It's also reminiscent of some of the complex glazes produced by Japanese raku reduction firing.
The seam line running round the shoulder of the vase is typical of many hand thrown pots of this shape where the potter's fist is too big to finish the mouth and rim, so the piece is thrown in two parts, a top and a bottom, and luted (glued with slip or liquid clay) together along the join whose faint remains you can still see.
Although there is no mark, I believe that it was made by the French art potter Eugene Baudin (1853-1918) and is an example of the type he was producing in Brittany, before he moved to Monte Carlo in 1906 and set up the Poterie de Monaco. Many of his pieces were silver and pewter mounted.
This urn measures 9" tall, and approx. 5 1/2" at it's widest point. The sterling handles measure 6" across.
This piece was appraised at $550. Signed pieces are at auction from $3600 -$6000. This is a deal for a collector. less
- 5.5ʺW × 5.5ʺD × 9ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
Eulalie Designs, LLC in Stevensville, MT
I specialize in American and French décor from the 19th and early 20th centuries. I ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.